UNO Editor and MIDI Clock?

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

UNO Editor and MIDI Clock?

Postby jimmi.gruen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Hi,

I'm playing around with the VST editor for the UNO Synth in Studio One Pro v4.
Everything works fine except syncing the UNO to MIDI clock from the DAW.

If I connect the UNO via USB, and select the USB "virtual" MIDI input/output ports in the editor, those MIDI ports get reserved by the VST. So Studio One can't open them to send MIDI clock.

If I connect the UNO to my computer with an actual MIDI cable from my audio interface to MIDI IN, *and* the USB cable, I can set the UNO to receive MIDI clock from the physical MIDI IN port via the audio interface ("External"), while it's talking to the editor using the USB virtual MIDI ports. This seems to work fine, but requires an extra MIDI cable plugged into the MIDI In of the UNO, in addition to the USB cable.

Is this normal behavior, or is there some way to make the VST itself automagically send MIDI clock to the synth? Seems kind of overkill to require 3 cables + audio in order to sync the synth with a computer...
jimmi.gruen

Re: UNO Editor and MIDI Clock?

Postby mungewell » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:08 am

Hi Jimmi,
Found the exact same problem with the Uno being driven from my MPC Touch (running MPC on the destop). Once the track is set to be the 'Uno VST' plugin, it was unable to selected as a target for Midi Clock track.

My workaround was to use the USB for the editor, then run a cable into the Midi input and send Clock down that.

It would be nice if there was a software workaround, I wonder if anyone knows of a software way to advertise two Midi ports, merge the data and then send the combined data to the Uno.

I've done some Midi hacking in Python (on Windows), so might be able to use something like that...
https://github.com/mungewell/mpd-utils/tree/master/utils

Cheers,
Simon.
mungewell

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth