Loud Noise?

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Loud Noise?

Postby summer2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:29 am

Is it normal that there is so much noise with the UNO?

Without the USB cable plugged in it's pretty bad but when the cable is plugged in it's not really usable.

I have tried using USB Ferrite Beads Clips and a ground loop isolator and the noise is still very loud.

https://soundcloud.com/pheromusic/ik-multimedia-uno-noise

Is a recording I made where you can hear the noise.

Does anyone else have this problem?
summer2

Re: Loud Noise?

Postby Eridon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:27 pm

Wow !!! i was thinking that it was "normal" , people telling me that it's normal to hear some little noise in the background with analog synth

but it's exactly like this , a little "buzzzzzzz" , especially annoying when you are recording something and when you want a moment of silence ...

my only one solution is to switch the back panel knob at the middle for "battery powered" and boum ! noise is gone

Edit : Have done the same thing as you

https://soundcloud.com/eridon/unosynth-noise/s-5GzyE

It's EXACTLY the same problem as you can hear

it changes nothings if i plug the usb directly into the computer or an USB hub or a wall usb hub....
Eridon

Postby summer2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Yep, that's definitely the same issue. Glad I'm not the only one.

Unfortunately I can't just use batteries because the standard midi ports are bugged. Any sound playing will sweep to a very high pitch on key release.

I've been digging through some youtube videos and as far as I can tell they all don't have these issues.
summer2

Postby summer2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:08 pm

Btw. I have tried connecting a Novation Bass Staion 2 via USB and that doesn't have the noise issue.
summer2

Postby Eridon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Ok , i have found a strange solution

I have an Arturia beatstep pro , and there is a « ground loop isolator dongle » with it

So , i have try it with the Uno (the same usb cable connected to it in one side , and on the other , I’m using ... my iPhone charger with a micro usb that i’ve Found ...)

And ... IT WORKS !! No more buzzy noise O_o

I suggest IK Multimedia to give those kind of ground loop isolator dongle or , atleast , to HEAVILY SUGGEST using one , and explain it in their FAQ

It’s a regular problem when you check other forums about the Uno ....
Eridon

Postby summer2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:32 pm

Yes, I have one of those, but it doesn't get rid of it all. And the periodic high pitch noise is still there.
summer2

Postby Eridon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:00 pm

I Think that the high pitch noise is due to the automatic re-calibration

But sorry , for me , I don’t have any noise with my ground loop isolator (and my strange setup :p)

I suppose you have the latest firmware ?
Eridon

Postby summer2 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:20 am

I just double checked and I'm using the latest firmware 1.1.3

Could you do me a favour and make a similar recording as before but with the isolator connected? Then I'll do the same when I'm back home tonight.

Also, is your isolator of a specific brand? I'm using this one: [url]https://www.amazon.de/AUKEY-Entstörfilter-Entstörer-Bluetooth-Lautsprecher-5-mm-Audiokabel/dp/B01LX0H29W[/url]
summer2

Postby Eridon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:31 am

summer2 wrote:I just double checked and I'm using the latest firmware 1.1.3

Could you do me a favour and make a similar recording as before but with the isolator connected? Then I'll do the same when I'm back home tonight.

Also, is your isolator of a specific brand? I'm using this one: [url]https://www.amazon.de/AUKEY-Entstörfilter-Entstörer-Bluetooth-Lautsprecher-5-mm-Audiokabel/dp/B01LX0H29W[/url]

Yeah sure , I will do this when I come back from work

For the isolator , as far as I know , it was one provided when I’ve bought my Arturia Beatstep Pro , it was in the box
Never used it before the problem of noise with the Uno synth

I’ll keep you updated
Eridon

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:15 pm

The noise is not uncommon to connecting via USB for power. This is explained on the UNO Synth Specs page: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/u ... hp?p=specs

*USB power has inherent ground noise, so when connecting the UNO Synth directly to your computer via USB, you may hear more noise and interference than when the synth is connected to a USB wall charger or running via batteries. With the direct computer connection, you can reduce the USB ground noise and other interference by either using a USB isolator or a custom TRS cable into a balanced input on your preamp or audio interface where the ground is not connected at the balanced input side.

There are also diagrams there.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby summer2 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:56 pm

Here's the difference when the isolator is attached: https://soundcloud.com/pheromusic/uno-n ... p-isolator

As you can hear there is still plenty of noise when a sound is played.
summer2

Postby summer2 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:57 pm

@Peter_IK I wouldn't mind just using batteries but if I connect regular midi cables the presets sweep to a high pitch on key release.
summer2

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:05 pm

summer2 wrote:@Peter_IK I wouldn't mind just using batteries but if I connect regular midi cables the presets sweep to a high pitch on key release.

You can also use a USB battery pack (like people commonly use to recharge their phone/iPad/etc) for very low noise. Or an isolator, as mentioned above and on the Specs page.

The high pitched sweep should be reported to IK Support for more troubleshooting.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby summer2 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 pm

So, I tried removing the USB cable and switching to batteries which actually gave me more noise. I couldn't get regular midi to work as the UNO would start behaving strange. First I couldn't use any knobs and when I played a note on the internal keyboard it sounded like the preset was playing with a super quick vibrato.

If I start the device without USB cable and (fresh) batteries I get the flashing CAL and then after a while it shows ERR.
summer2

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Sounds like you're having issues that require official IK Support so I'd go that route as suggested above.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Next

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth