Battery problem / Random patches

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Battery problem / Random patches

Postby Apogenic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:29 am

Hi,

I have two issues that I discovered by using 3 different units. So far all 3 units had same issues. No idea if it's software or hardware related.

1st issue - Battery dies after few hours even if unit is off. basically batteries ARE drained while off. I tested it on batteries and external battery pack on all 3 units. All units drained battery within 6 hours when units were off. So it's design flaw I guess. :cry:

2 issue - Patches change randomly while playing. When I press play and then want to change patch up it starts jumping through patches randomly for a long time and then ends up on random patch. happened on all 3 units. I tested in on different USB cables, batteries, battery packs. All units had same problem. One unit had on oscillator detuned and one unit froze on me randomly. I understand this is cheap synth but quality seems to be off. 3 units, same problems :o

:arrow: My question is. Does anybody have same issues or it was my pure bad luck to receive 3 lemons in a row? :?:

I need to establish if I have to learn to live with randomly jumping patches and cross of this unit form live performance (and use it only in studio with DAW) or should I try to get fully working unit. Batteries cannot be saved I guess. I think it's hardware issue.

looking for your feedback! ;)

Jumping patches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0rodlskqKc
Apogenic

Re: Battery problem / Random patches

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:02 pm

I've read some reports that swapping out batteries and/or the newest firmware fixes this when some have experienced it. There are also likely other factors but you'll need to troubleshoot directly with IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support to fully test and flush out what's going on and for the most reliable and technically correct result and resolution.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Apogenic » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:57 pm

But what about random pattern jumping? It happened on 3 units. I created ticket already.
Apogenic

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Apogenic wrote:But what about random pattern jumping? It happened on 3 units. I created ticket already.

That's what I was referring to with regard to batteries. I'm sure IK Support will be able to assist you once they troubleshoot directly with you.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby JBiker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:13 pm

Does anybody have same issues or it was my pure bad luck to receive 3 lemons in a row?

Yes. Patches changing randomly while playing seems to be a common problem, also happening here from time to time, so when using the unit on batteries as when it's connected to an USB port.
JBiker

Postby 4vientos » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:07 am

What could possibly go wrong, with three sync options, batteries Vs usb, multiple
on/off switches in the editor, the editor not behaving quite the same
in a daw vs standalone, possible issues as the batteries get low...
myriad midi interfaces, double myriad computer configs,
and triple myriad computer hardware combos,
it's little wonder there's a few bumps in the dark.

I think some random issues occur if the editor is not in perfect sync
with the hardware. When used busily, sometimes my UNO switches
to preset 2, and locks up it's controls as well as reaper/win 7. Reboot.
Sometimes a sequence starts out of nowhere,
and have to restart UNO to be rid of it. A few stuck notes,
with some hunt & peck to free things up, so add a 20+ year old
midi keyboard to the vagaries mentioned above. :roll:
Still love my UNO and editor!
4vientos

Postby acecombine » Sat May 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi peeps,

I'm planning to get an UNO, and just checking up on the forum for insights.
So as I see the random patch change happens to some of you regardless of battery/usb power use.
Has this been resolved so far via some firmware update? Or is it a hardware issue and if I face it then I should return the product?
acecombine

Postby Apogenic » Sat May 04, 2019 1:34 pm

Battery problem was fixed in firmware update. Random patches were not fixed so far and thsi is really annoying. Forget to use it live for now until this is fixed. It is hard to choose patch you like as you'll get random patch very, very often. It is almost unusable at this moment. I am sure it is software problem, which is good because it can be fixed. Like I said I tested 4 units, same problem with patches so I assume everybody has the same problem. You can live with it but it is very annoying. Besides that this synth is awesome. Next on my list is Behringer Crave which is simpler synth but better build (no battery though).:)
Apogenic

Postby acecombine » Sat May 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks for the reply,
well, that's pretty bad news, especially since I couldn't find an official response from IK regarding the issue. I mean 'contact support' is kind of a non-answer.
My fear is that it might be a hardware issue, since I also seen this glitch in the sonicstage youtube video from last September and it wasn't addressed since.
Anyways, would love to see some official insights...
acecombine

Postby Apogenic » Sat May 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Well. You might be right. I created a ticket I think twice to IK regarding that with no answer which might be hiding head in the sand. And if it's hardware issue this is serious problem as it is impossible to use it live. It is hard to use it at all. And Like I said. I went through 4 units. My advice is, get Behringer Crave now, similar price, better build, similar functionality. It should be available soon. I am buying it myself as this patch thing is a let down. I use UNO with my DAW vis Editor in VST mode, so for music production is still fine but in standalone mode it jumps patches more every single time I use it. Still, if you look past this issue and are planning to use it with DAW its, good sounding synth. If you like such sounds of course.

By the way there is one more issue. Grounding loop. If you connect synth to your PC to use with DAW you will get motherboard noise inn your audio out. This is happening only when you connect to PC, which is crucial when you want to use DAW, so this is another quirk you need to know about. You can use grounding loop filter that you need to buy, It helps a little but affects sound as well a little. So best way is to actually make custom cable to avoid this noise, however I think this cable should be included in the box. Another serious problem is to actually connect UNO with your Editor. This is way to complicated and badly solved. Software needs update here as well. So there are few issues with this synth.
Apogenic

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon May 06, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi All!

Peter_IK let me know this thread may need some attention. I do see some user confusion here. Let's see what I can clear up. :ugeek:

For any users with their presets changing randomly.

This is not considered normal. We strongly encourage any users experiencing this behavior to contact IK Multimedia technical support. The team can both troubleshoot what happened, as well as take advantage of any warranty periods you guys qualify for.

Contact our Technical Support team here

For any users with any noise when using the UNO Synth.

Check your connections for how you are powering your UNO Synth. As Peter mentioned, USB power coming from a Mac/PC can come with some noise. This is not an inherit behavior of the UNO Synth, but of any USB powered devices working in this same way. With batteries or a direct USB power source, like a cellphone charger (power brick), this noise would not occur.

If you need to power your device via Mac/PC USB for any reason, check out the ground loop isolator here.

Read full UNO Synth specs here

Read all UNO Synth FAQs here
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby acecombine » Mon May 06, 2019 8:06 pm

Okay, so if I get you correctly the random patch change is a manufacturing fault then.
I'm not sure if I want to experiment with it tbh.
Someone claimed he had three faulty Unos in a row.
It's demonstrated on youtube, so yeah, it could be a good idea to officially and publicly address this issue, so you don't cannibalize future sales...
acecombine

Postby Apogenic » Mon May 06, 2019 8:32 pm

On the one hand it seems to be hardware problem like stuck button, however on other hand jumping patches only happen when unit is playing a patch and I try to change it to another one. When play is not "on" and I change patches, it changes patches no problem without any random jumping.
Apogenic

Postby acecombine » Mon May 06, 2019 8:51 pm

I'm super on the fence, it's a great, affordable and portable synth,
I just don't wish to enter customer support hell with it.
I might still try my luck with one! :roll:
acecombine

[SOLVED] Battery problem / Random patches

Postby Peter_IK » Mon May 06, 2019 9:00 pm

There have been some improvements to the capsense on newer units post-launch and firmware updates so you are not likely to experience any such issue. You should also generally not experience this with most, of any, units when applying normal amounts of force either way.

Ryan has posted this too, for clarity:

Just as a note, I wanted to let you know that the UNO Synth Preset menu can scroll through presets quickly when holding the DATA Up/Down buttons. This would be normal behavior. The reason I point this out is due to some user confusion. We have seen users believe this to be an issue, but this is just for quickly cycling through presets. This is useful when going from preset 20 to say 80 for example
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Next

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth