Setting of Garageband to play and record UnoSynth

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Setting of Garageband to play and record UnoSynth

Postby p.menudier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:47 pm

Hi there,

I can't hear my Uno in Garageband. I create a track with Virtual Instrument, set it to UnoSynth editor, I see my Uno in the editor but I can't hear it. Can anyone tell me how to set all the items in the Uno editor to hear what the Uno plays ? Is there anything else to set in GarageBand ? Uno is plugged via USB and gets the last firmware (1.1.3). GarageBand is 10.3.2 and OS is 10.14.2

Thank You

Pascal
p.menudier

Re: Setting of Garageband to play and record UnoSynth

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:51 pm

UNO Synth does not transmit audio over USB. It is a pure analog synthesizer so you would need to send the output on UNO Synth into your audio interface and record that audio track.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby p.menudier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:04 pm

OK, I understand that I have to create one track to control Uno with MIDI via USB from Uno Synth Editor in GarageBand, and another track to input the audio in GarageBand from audio out of the Uno to audio in of the Mac. So can you tell me which cable to use? is it TRRS 3.5 to TRRS 3.5 or is there any adaptor? I mean if I want to plug Uno and headphones both?
Thanks
p.menudier

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:08 pm

It would depend on your audio interface's inputs. If you want to use headphones too, you'd need a splitter. The headphone output is standard 1/8" stereo so you'd need that to whatever your audio interface accepts.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby p.menudier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 pm

I have IK Headphones, so I think I can get an adaptor with 3.5 TRRS one side, and 3.5 stereo headphones and 3.5 mono mic the other side, is it correct? It will be plugged in an iMac 27"
p.menudier

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:19 pm

p.menudier wrote:I have IK Headphones, so I think I can get an adaptor with 3.5 TRRS one side, and 3.5 stereo headphones and 3.5 mono mic the other side, is it correct? It will be plugged in an iMac 27"

I wouldn't recommend using the jack on your iMac for audio input. I'm not sure what the jack on your iMac requires, so I unfortunately cannot answer that one question. An audio interface would be the best way to get low-noise, low-latency audio into GarageBand.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby p.menudier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 pm

OK, so which audio interface do you recommend? I'm beginner in all that, so I have no idea of what to buy to plug between my Uno and the Mac audio in.
p.menudier

Postby p.menudier » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:50 pm

I have an iRig Pro Duo, do you think it could be a good solution to my problem? But can I input both sound by USB by connecting the audio out of the synth to the 6,3 jack in of the pro duo and the midi control by connecting the 2,5 jack out of the synth to the 2,5 jack in of the pro duo? Will I control and hear my Uno in this case?
Thanks
p.menudier

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:20 am

I'm not sure you can connect the 2.5 MIDI --> 2.5 MIDI directly. Please check with the support team and they can further assist in that case. It may work if the wiring is exactly the same but I'm not sure.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dieter_hirsbrunner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Hello,

I use the iRig Pro I/O for recording the UNO on my iPad in GarageBand. iPad or Mac doesn’t really matter, the important part is to get the audio into whatever interface/preamp you are using. In my case it happens to be the iRig Pro I/O.

You need a male 1/8” TRS plug to balanced XLR connector. At the bottom of page 37 of the UNO manual you will see a wiring diagram. You also can buy this cable in various lengths at Guitar Center.

TRS plug goes into UNO output and the balanced XLR goes into the mic input of the iRig.

I add a track in garage band, open the audio recorder and select instrument. This basically makes garage band think you are recording UNO with a microphone. Set your levels and you are good to go.

It should basically work the same way with the iRig Pro duo if it has the balanced mic input like my pro I/O does.
Last edited by dieter_hirsbrunner on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dieter_hirsbrunner

Postby p.menudier » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi, thank you for that answer. I’ll try that and let you know
p.menudier

Postby p.menudier » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:13 pm

OK
What I did:
• audio out of Uno 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TS x 2 in the two mics enters of the iRig Pro Duo.
Then in GarageBand, new track audio enters 1 and 2, on the iMac.
• USB of Uno to iPad Pro, with AC/USB adaptor, AC alim on 220V and Uno Editor in MIDI via USB on iPad Pro

That way I get the editor fully operational in MIDI and GarageBand recording with no noise in stereo at the same time. That works well !!!!
p.menudier

Postby dieter_hirsbrunner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Excellent!
dieter_hirsbrunner

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth