how to record Uno synth audio

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

how to record Uno synth audio

Postby Laurynwc » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:13 am

I'm sure this has been asked before but I need an answer in layman's terms. I'm brand new to everything and I have no idea what half the MDI DAW things mean. I only own a laptop that I'm hoping to record on, what is the EASIEST CHEAPEST way to go about this? What would I have to buy, where can I buy it and how much does it typically run for?
Laurynwc

Re: how to record Uno synth audio

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

There are a couple ways to record the audio out from UNO Synth.

Personally, I would use an audio interface like the iRig HD 2, iRig Pro I/O, or iRig Pro Duo. Click these product names to read more information on these devices.

Another option would be using the 'Line-input' on your laptop, if your laptop offers one of these. If so, you can use an 1/8" TRS cable to connect the UNO Synth to this port directly and record using your laptop's built-in sound card.

Let me know if you need any clarification on anything here. I will be more than happy to see what I can do.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby kriyananda » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi, I try recording it with Ableton 9.7 Suite.

UNO Synth firmware version is 1.1.3 connected via USB to the computer, the audio "OUT" signal goes into a FOCUSRITE Scarlett 2i4 which I use as IN and OUT channel in the forementioned DAW.

My System is MacBook Pro, 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7 and OSX 10.13.4 (High Sierra).

I do use an Arturia MiniLab mkII as a controller, and, in Ableton Live, I put the UNO Synth plug in a MIDI track to choose my sounds and then at the same time I enable the recording in another AUDIO track.

So basically, I play the UNO Synth using Arturia's keyboard.

I just noticed a few major issues :

- a strong and annoying hiss on the background, due to I don't know what, disappearing when I turn UNO Synth off.

- the "ERR" message twickling everytime I change preset.

- while browsing the presets, the UNO goes crazy now and then and starts very rapidly to switch between random presets and I can't help but wait for it to stop.

- when I'm in this configuration, If I turn the "ARP" or "SEQ" buttons on the UNO, nothing happens as I play the keyboard, but I realized that they both work if I trigger the corresponding MIDI track on the DAW.

- When I play back the corresponding MIDI Track, Volume varies randomly, vibrato turns on without reason.

I hope I will be able to solve most of these issues soon. The UNO Synth is a nice little synth, but I'm experiences the forementioned issues and, so far, I can't use it as I wish I could.

Anyone? :)

Thanks
kriyananda

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:23 pm

kriyananda wrote:- a strong and annoying hiss on the background, due to I don't know what, disappearing when I turn UNO Synth off.

It sounds like you are powering your unit from your laptop. This can result in some noise depending on the power source of your computer. I would suggest using batteries with your UNO Synth with your laptop. This should help prevent this from occurring.

If you wish to avoid battery use, you can 'clean up' your power using the device at the link below. This is a ground loop isolator which is fairly inexpensive and will get the job done. This has been tested by our team and works well with the UNO Synth in situations like the one you are experiencing.

Amazon.com: Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator for Car Audio/Home Stereo System with 3.5mm Audio Cable (Black): Electronics

kriyananda wrote:- the "ERR" message twickling everytime I change preset.

This sounds a bit unusual. I would check with IK Multimedia support to see what could be going on here. Use the link below to contact the team. Once you've opened a ticket, send me a PM with the ticket #.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/

kriyananda wrote:- while browsing the presets, the UNO goes crazy now and then and starts very rapidly to switch between random presets and I can't help but wait for it to stop.

It sounds like you may be pressing down too hard on the DATA up/down buttons. Try using a lighter touch. The support team can also look into this and if necessary look into your warranty period.

kriyananda wrote:- when I'm in this configuration, If I turn the "ARP" or "SEQ" buttons on the UNO, nothing happens as I play the keyboard, but I realized that they both work if I trigger the corresponding MIDI track on the DAW.

When you can, check your 'SYNC' source. This should be set to 'INT' unless you are sending MIDI Clock data from your USB MIDI connection or the 2.5mm MIDI ports. To check this tap 'ALT' then 'SYNC' use the DATA up/down arrows to select an option.

kriyananda wrote:- When I play back the corresponding MIDI Track, Volume varies randomly, vibrato turns on without reason.

Check your MIDI file for any extra MIDI CC data which could be affecting your UNO Synth. The support team should also be able to check into this for you.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby kriyananda » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:09 am

If you wish to avoid battery use, you can 'clean up' your power using the device at the link below. This is a ground loop isolator which is fairly inexpensive and will get the job done. This has been tested by our team and works well with the UNO Synth in situations like the one you are experiencing.

Thank you for the advice!

I'll definitely get one if I decide to keep the UNO Synth.

Anyway, I think the procedure of powering the unit from the laptop it's very common and far from being something unorthodox, it would be OK to expect the Synth to work fine without having to buy any extra gear, even though a cheap device ;)

This sounds a bit unusual. I would check with IK Multimedia support to see what could be going on here. Use the link below to contact the team. Once you've opened a ticket, send me a PM with the ticket #.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/

That seems unusual to me as well, yet that's it! I'll do as you suggest :D

It sounds like you may be pressing down too hard on the DATA up/down buttons. Try using a lighter touch. The support team can also look into this and if necessary look into your warranty period.

Nope, I don't press too hard, I do apply a soft pressure; it seems somebody else has experienced the same issue : viewtopic.php?f=43&t=19976.

Let's hope to sort this thing out.

When you can, check your 'SYNC' source. This should be set to 'INT' unless you are sending MIDI Clock data from your USB MIDI connection or the 2.5mm MIDI ports. To check this tap 'ALT' then 'SYNC' use the DATA up/down arrows to select an option.

Yep! Issue solved!!!! Thanks :)

Check your MIDI file for any extra MIDI CC data which could be affecting your UNO Synth. The support team should also be able to check into this for you.

Yessir! :)

Many, many thanks!
kriyananda

Postby Ryan_IK » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:13 am

Glad to hear I could help in anyway. I look forward to seeing your PM so I can work with the team and get you resolved quickly :D
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby synthwalker » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:23 pm

Ro avoid noise bliss with USB power, you may also use a USB powering bloc (5V - 750 mA or more works fine for me but curiously not 5V - 500 mA).
synthwalker

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth