Anybody else? Issues with UNO Synth Editor as VST in Live

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Anybody else? Issues with UNO Synth Editor as VST in Live

Postby bobvoi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:38 pm

First - I do have an open case with IK Multimedia already. I just want to check if I am the only one with this problem. The ticket number is 689875.

I have some issues with the UNO Synth Editor (1.0.0.8H29) as a VST-plugin to Ableton Live (10.0.15) on Windows 10 x64 (1803).

The standalone version of UNO Synth Editor works fine when launched alone.

With no standalone UNO Synth Editor running, I launch Live. The editor says "WAITING FOR UNO" when I drag the plugin onto a track. Live do receive MIDI from the keys and knobs of UNO Synth, but I can't work with any presents as the Load, Save and Store-buttons are deactivated.

And - how to crash Live with UNO Synth Editor VST;
A strange case occur when I first start the standalone version of UNO Synth Editor (which connects with the UNO Synth). Without terminating the standalone version, I launch Live and drag the plugin onto the track. Of course the VST-version can't connect to the UNO Synth now, as the standalone version is holding the connections at this time. If I terminate the standalone version, then the VST-version connects automatically (The "WAITING FOR UNO" dissappear). However, now the MIDI signals doesn't flow to Live. If I remove the VST-plugin from the track, then Live crashes. The crash is consitent and repeatable on my two computers.

For those who are really interested, I have created a screencast of what I do to provoke the crash here https://www.vcode.no/files/UNOSynthEditorAsVSTVideo

BTW; I have also reported the crash to Ableton

Best regards,
Bob

PS: When I frist installed UNO Synth Editor, it didn't connect automatically to the UNO Synth. I manually had to select the MIDI Input- and Output-devices in the UNO Synth Editor's Preferences page. This isn't a huge problem in itself, albeit it may leave some users baffled about why the synth doesn't connect automatically.

On my system (this is different from computer to computer, according to have many MIDI devices you have connected to your computer), I see that the UNO Synth Editor lists the following:

MIDI INPUT: UNO Synth [1]
MIDI OUTPUT: UNO Synth [0]

When I use my own ListMIDI32-tool (which you can download from here; https://www.vcode.no/files/ListMIDI32 ), I get the following result:
MIDI Input Devices:
DevID # 0 [UNO Synth]
DevID # 1 [Mymachinename]
MIDI Output Devices:
DevID # 0 [Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth]
DevID # 1 [UNO Synth]
DevID # 2 [Mymachinename]

Note that there seems to be a mix of device IDs between the editor and ListMIDI32. Perhaps this is the reason for the UNO Synth Editor doesn't connect automatically?
Last edited by bobvoi on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobvoi

Re: Anybody else? Issues with UNO Synth Editor as VST in Liv

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:32 pm

Since you have a ticket open, please post your ticket number in the post, per the guidelines at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505 (see item 2 specifically).

Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby bobvoi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:50 pm

Peter - The ticket number is added to the main topic. Btw it is 689875
bobvoi

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:58 pm

bobvoi wrote:Peter - The ticket number is added to the main topic. Btw it is 689875

Awesome, thanks! And I hope it turns out to be something that can be sorted out quickly. Cheers.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby autechpan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:11 am

I have the same issue. what is the solution?

//tony
autechpan

Postby bobvoi » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:17 am

autechpan wrote:I have the same issue. what is the solution?

//tony

Tony, I have received a confirmation that IK Multimedia are able to recreate the problem. Phew! That means that they at least do see the problem :-)

As you see, others have similar issues with "Studio One 4" and "FL Studio".
bobvoi

Postby autechpan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Tony, I have received a confirmation that IK Multimedia are able to recreate the problem. Phew! That means that they at least do see the problem :-)

My problem was fixed by swapping USB cables. I assume the audio doesn't go over USB like the elektron VST?
autechpan

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:47 pm

autechpan wrote:

My problem was fixed by swapping USB cables. I assume the audio doesn't go over USB like the elektron VST?

Correct, there is no audio passed over USB. UNO Synth is an analog synth as far as the full audio path goes so you need to connect the output to your interface or similar to record it.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby pmunson » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 pm

Same problem in Reaper on Windows

I can use the standalone editor, but in the DAW the VST just says "waiting for UNO" even though I've chosen the proper UNO Synth [0] and UNO Synth [1] for IN/OUT.

It seems to be more of an issue with the Windows editor itself vs. any particular DAW.
pmunson

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:49 am

pmunson wrote:Same problem in Reaper on Windows

I can use the standalone editor, but in the DAW the VST just says "waiting for UNO" even though I've chosen the proper UNO Synth [0] and UNO Synth [1] for IN/OUT.

It seems to be more of an issue with the Windows editor itself vs. any particular DAW.

Please report your issue to IK Support and they will troubleshoot with you directly and resolve the issue you are experiencing. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ShoutingMantis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:05 am

I even had the Problem, but here is the trick: (works in Abelton live and FL) do not enable The UNO synth as a controller. Then restart the UNO synth. Now you can use it in your DAW. Now you should know that the UNO Synth doesn't send note data to the DAW! You need a MIDI interface if you want record notes coming from the Synth. I don't know how now you can sync the Synth. Here is my theory: to recive the clock from DAW enable "MIDI Interface [ON]/recive PC[ON]" Than choose a instrument that recive "Sync" and choose a different MIDI Channel if that instrument shouldn't control the UNO Synth, or use the MIDI controller you wanted to use and enable "sync" (in Output) and set it on the same MIDI channel. This should work.
ShoutingMantis

Postby ShoutingMantis » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 am

@Peter_IK The Problem is that the Editor don't found the UNO synth if you enable it as a controller in your software. You must dissabled the UNO synth what means you can't now send a Sync to the UNO Synth, because it's not enabled. But than if the Synth is not enabled, the Editor now found the UNO synth. But in the Editor, the UNO synth doesn't send Note Data or response to USB sync, cause now there is nothing it can recive a sync. So maybe it should be changed that the UNO Synth editor recive the UNO Synth even if the Synth is enabled as a MIDI Controller in the Software.
ShoutingMantis

Postby AyazAnis » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:03 pm

YUP SAME PROBLEM IN 2019.
AyazAnis

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:21 am

Please report this issue to IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support or continue to work with them if you already have an open ticket. Thank you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby gwood » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:26 pm

I found a similar issue in Propellerhead's Reason 10 running on Windows 10 on a Surface Pro. I connected a Quad Note Generator to Reason's External MIDI Instrument to send notes to the UNO Synth hardware. It works, and the effect is pretty cool.

But if, after turning on the UNO Synth, the External MIDI Instrument is played first, the Synth Editor (either standalone or VST) freezes at "Waiting for UNO." If, on the other hand, the Editor is opened first, the External MIDI Instrument indicates "UNO Synth [offline]."

This does *not* happen with Reason 10 on MacOS High Sierra.
gwood

Next

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth