Uno Synth volume gets much louder using CC7

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Uno Synth volume gets much louder using CC7

Postby ohmstudiste » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:58 pm

I use my uno synth mainly connected to a midi keyboard controller and I found out that when using Control Change 7 (which is standard CC for Volume) the output of the uno synth is dramatically increased compared as it is when only using the builtin volume knob maxed out.
It even goes into overdriving.
So is this something you guys did on purpose ?
Because I don't think it's a drawback, on the contrary, it adds a lot of omph to the synth.
Does this mean the unit volume knob has a limited range on purpose as some kind of protection ?

try this if you can: hook up a midi controler, dial a patch, set the volume on the unit to max, play some notes, then use CC7 to max value (127), play some notes: you should hear the sound much louder

EDIT: I did some more testing. It seems the volume increases by 10 db. But it does distort it quite a lot. And also it seems that the max output volume you get when turning the unit knob to the max correspond to the CC7 turned up half way (that would be value 64)
ohmstudiste

Re: Uno Synth volume gets much louder using CC7

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:34 pm

Hello ohmstudiste,

Thanks for your post!

Let's see how I can clarify here.

The MIDI CC7 message will control the VCA output level. This can be used to control the volume to the maximum level. The maximum level (Depending on other settings) can result in distortion, so to prevent we created this value at a lower level. This allows for a cleaner sound and more control over saving presets with an 'even' level . Feel free to use this control, but we would suggest avoiding overloading your outputs.

Hope this helps!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth