Unosynth Editor in Cubase

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Unosynth Editor in Cubase

Postby gpnicolett » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:55 pm

Hey all, trying to get this up and running in Cubase and have a bunch of questions.

First off, I can't seem to send midi from my DAW to the Unosynth. I open the editor, and play my keyboard, and the editor registers midi input (the keys in the editor light up), but the Unosynth doesn't make any sound. But if I play the keys on the Unosynth, I DO get sound.

I can change the presets from the editor and the Unosynth will respond in kind, but MIDI just isn't working.

Also - what is the best workflow for getting audio into Cubase? Is the only way to have an audio track with the inputs on my interface enabled at all times, or am I missing a better way?

gpnicolett

Re: Unosynth Editor in Cubase

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Hey gpnicolett,

Thanks for your post!

The UNO Synth must be updated to the latest firmware version to be used with the UNO Synth Editor. Make sure to download the latest firmware update at the link below.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/firmware/

Once you are updated, check to see if this helps. Make sure to use the Settings in our Editor to select the UNO Synth as your MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. Once selected, make sure to adjust the MIDI Channel to match with your keyboard. If this information does not help, check with IK Multimedia technical support for some help getting started.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/

As for a best work flow. There are a couple ways to go about using the UNO Synth with Cubase. I'll leave this question for the community to answer. Do note, we have a Facebook group "IK Multimedia UNO Synth". Make sure to join in the conversation there as well.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Re: Unosynth Editor in Cubase

Postby gpnicolett » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. My unit actually had the midi input channel set to 2 for some reason - must have been changed by someone who bought the unit and returned it - so setting it back to 1 solved the MIDI issue.

As for Cubase the two workflows I see are:

1.) INSTRUMENT TRACK WITH EDITOR PLUS AUDIO INPUT - This method requires creating an instrument track using the Unosynth Editor, and having an audio track below it with input monitoring on to receive audio. This feels overly complicated.

2.) UNOSYNTH AS EXTERNAL INTRUMENT - This route takes advantage of Cubase's ability to treat external hardware as software instruments. The midi and audio return are combined in a single track. Unfortunately, I believe this method makes it impossible to use the Unosynth Editor, and would require creating a device panel from scratch to access all the Midi CC's.

If there is some way to combine the power of the editor with the simplicity of the External Instrument function, that'd be my choice, but I'm not sure it's possible.
gpnicolett

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth