Questions about behavior

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Questions about behavior

Postby dununba » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:00 pm

There are a number of behaviors that are not included in the documentation. Yes I RTFM :-)
How does modulation with the LFO work? Is it equivalent to 0-5V or -5-+5V CV? In other words, am I effectively modulating the knob clockwise? or both clockwise and counterclockwise?
Is it possible to transpose a whole sequence at once?
How does one remove automation? Can it be done all at once? or one note at a time?
Is tempo saved with a preset?
dununba

Re: Questions about behavior

Postby samuellindeman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi!

Going 'by ear' the modulation is bi-polar(ie. something like -5 to +5v).

Personally I would prefer uni-polar(ie. 0-5v) behaviour as it would make it easier to keep the patch in tune instead of having the pitch wobble around the root pitch (As an example try to modulate the pitch with a square-wave and it's well, the pitch is _never_ on the note that is actually played).

The UNO's LFO is software so there might be a way to add some 'switch' to toggle the LFO's behaviour between uni/bi-polar using SysEx via a firmware update?

I fully agree on being able to transpose the sequence as well as clearing out individual parameter automations without having to erase the whole sequence.

One idea that has been on my mind is to use 'alt and tweak a knob' to erase automation for the knob that is moved.

I do hope IK keeps on improving the firmware of the UNO :)

Faster LFO would be nice as would assigning filter-envelope to the pitch of OSC1&2.
(Nice touch is the filter envelope decay to the scoop & dive speeds).

More nice 'easter eggs' would be welcomed too :)
(Really like the option edit full ADSR of both envelopes with long press on ENV and FILTER).

Cheers!
/Samuel
samuellindeman

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:55 pm

dununba wrote:There are a number of behaviors that are not included in the documentation. Yes I RTFM :-)
How does modulation with the LFO work? Is it equivalent to 0-5V or -5-+5V CV? In other words, am I effectively modulating the knob clockwise? or both clockwise and counterclockwise?
Is it possible to transpose a whole sequence at once?
How does one remove automation? Can it be done all at once? or one note at a time?
Is tempo saved with a preset?

Hey dununba,

Thanks for your post!

Good questions here. The UNO Synth LFO modulation is bipolar, meaning that it goes both above and below the current value. Unfortunately, you cannot transpose a whole sequence with one key, but you will be able to accomplish this a couple ways. The sequencer will send all MIDI data through the USB or DIN outputs, this means you can record this else and transpose this easily. Another way would be to edit your sequence step by step after pressing record. Use the DATA Up/Down buttons to select the step you wish to edit. Automation can be removed from each step or the entire sequence can be cleared. To clear a steps automation, tap the record button on UNO, then select the step you want to delete using the DATA Up/Down buttons. Press ALT and then the DATA Down button to clear a steps automation. As for your question on tempo, presets will not save tempo/BPM data. This allows presets to be changed in time for seamless playback/jams.

samuellindeman wrote:Hi!

Going 'by ear' the modulation is bi-polar(ie. something like -5 to +5v).

Personally I would prefer uni-polar(ie. 0-5v) behaviour as it would make it easier to keep the patch in tune instead of having the pitch wobble around the root pitch (As an example try to modulate the pitch with a square-wave and it's well, the pitch is _never_ on the note that is actually played).

The UNO's LFO is software so there might be a way to add some 'switch' to toggle the LFO's behaviour between uni/bi-polar using SysEx via a firmware update?

I fully agree on being able to transpose the sequence as well as clearing out individual parameter automations without having to erase the whole sequence.

One idea that has been on my mind is to use 'alt and tweak a knob' to erase automation for the knob that is moved.

I do hope IK keeps on improving the firmware of the UNO :)

Faster LFO would be nice as would assigning filter-envelope to the pitch of OSC1&2.
(Nice touch is the filter envelope decay to the scoop & dive speeds).

More nice 'easter eggs' would be welcomed too :)
(Really like the option edit full ADSR of both envelopes with long press on ENV and FILTER).

Cheers!
/Samuel

Hey Samuel,

Thanks for you reply here.

We appreciate your comments and feedback. I'll be sure to pass along your interest in this topic to the correct persons to see what can be done. Keep an eye out for future firmware updates in your User Area -> Firmware section of your IK Multimedia account (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/firmware/) as well as updates in the IK Multimedia news letter (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/newsletter).
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby dununba » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:24 am

more questions about undocumented specs

what is the lowest and highest frequency for the lfo in standard (non-sync'd mode)?
what is the min and max delay rates? in seconds or milliseconds please

Thanks
dununba

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth