Odd volume drop with extreme filter settings

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Odd volume drop with extreme filter settings

Postby geebake » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:35 pm

I was curious if anyone else has noticed unusual behavior with the filter on their Uno.

I've noticed that, at extreme settings, there is a significant and abrupt volume drop - as if a gate is closing.

Here's how to reproduce this:

1. Set to factory preset #1
2. Open cutoff to 100% (display will show 127)
3. Set the LFO filter amount to 0%
4. Set filter drive to about 50% (say 65)
5. Play and hold a note.
6. Begin to add resonance.

For me - at or just about about 100 on the resonance knob, there's a very abrupt volume drop. This isn't isolated to resonance. You can work backwards. Set the resonance to 100% and slowly open the cutoff. At about 110 on the cutoff, I get the same thing. Filter drive amount seems to affect this as well.

Also, this is very apparent if the LFO is used to sweep the cutoff. If you set the LFO to a very slow sweep and set the filter amount to 100%, close to the end of the cycle, the same abrupt volume drop is present.

Not trying to make this sound like it makes the Uno a horrible synth. Like most people, I would VERY rarely ever use such extreme filter settings. However this surprises me.

I' thinking that this is caused by the high frequencies generated when there's a lot of resonance with such a low cutoff frequency is bumping into some kind of noise gate?

Or perhaps this has to do with some processing that attempts to bump up the bottom end at low frequency cutoff, where low end drop is present on many classic filters. Perhaps at such extreme settings it gets confused.

Or maybe I got an Uno with a bad filter.

I'd love to know if anyone else can replicate this.

Greg
geebake

Re: Odd volume drop with extreme filter settings

Postby patrick.meeus » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Hi Greg

I just tried this out but I can't replicate your problem.
Hope this helps you.
Regards

Patrick
patrick.meeus

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Since it has been a while and nobody that can replicate has chimed in to say the have replicated the issue I would suggest contacting IK Support directly after making sure you II have the latest firmware and if you have not already opened a ticket with them.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Marxmellow » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:57 am

Hey... It hasn't been that long. Ya, I've seen this exact same thing. I can't tell you off the top of my head exactly what I did but sometimes I have to reboot to get out of it. It's almost like you turn a knob and hit a point and the volume drops down to almost zero. Sometimes you can recover but I've had a couple where that's it. Reboot. I will try to replicate this.myself and post the results.
Jason
Marxmellow

Postby geebake » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Hey Jason, thanks for your corroboration. I actually hope you can't recreate this and it's just an issue with my Uno. I'll be anxious to hear what your results are though.

Greg
geebake

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:48 pm

IK Support can likely very quickly tell you whether it is something that can be tweaked or if it is something with your particular unit and then rectify the issue either way. Have you opened a ticket with them? They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth