Getting unosynth un GarageBand via USB

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Getting unosynth un GarageBand via USB

Postby p.menudier » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:06 am

Can you tell me how to get unosynth in GarageBand as for a keyboard via usb connection?
p.menudier

Re: Getting unosynth un GarageBand via USB

Postby playinmyblues » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Page 31 of the user manual states there is only MIDI IN via USB. Use the included MIDI cables with a USB-to-MIDI converter to connect your UNO to your computer. You can get USB-to-MIDI converters as small like an M-Audio Uno. There are many others from lots of manufacturers.

From there, open up GarageBand and select a software instrument on the startup or add a new track and select software instrument.

Just for experiment's sake, I tried to play as many notes as I could with both hands. I could get 8 notes at one time. Then I tried just using the white keys and got 10 notes. As a keyboard MIDI controller it is definitely beyond the monophonic capabilities of the synth.

I Googled the topic of using the knobs on the Uno to control other parameters in GarageBand but it looks like GB will not do that. You can change it in GB itself.
playinmyblues

Postby p.menudier » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Thank you very much for that answer, what I mean when I say as a keyboard is not to use it as a keyboard, but just to plug it as a keyboard, and record what I play with the synth on GB tracks. So I will get a midi/usb to do it.
p.menudier

Postby p.menudier » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Do anybody think irig pro duo can do the job?
p.menudier

Postby beergeek » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:12 pm

p.menudier wrote:Do anybody think irig pro duo can do the job?

I think any audio interface will work but unless I'm mistaken, you will need to plug the audio out of the uno to an audio in on the interface.
beergeek

Postby p.menudier » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:09 pm

There are midi audio in and out on the irig pro duo, I’ll try that and let you know if it works.
p.menudier

Postby playinmyblues » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:17 pm

A websearch on the topic of using MIDI with GB will likely reveal that the most recent version of GB will not handle MIDI. I checked this out a while ago. There used to be an AU that could do the job but it was 32 bit and will not work with new GB. If you are using an older version of GB, it might work.

If you know how to program, you can probably write your own AU to handle MIDI. Or you might be able to find somebody else. I think it would be a great addition to GB but Apple would probably like you to upgrade to Logic Pro X.

Ableton was already purchased so I am using that.
playinmyblues

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth