Uno - Sysex Dump?

Discuss UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizers. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

Uno - Sysex Dump?

Postby playinmyblues » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 pm

Is there a way to do a Sysex dump to a computer? I have the Uno connected to the computer with the MIDI cables using an M-Audio Uno Sport. It works with Ableton, both as a MIDI interface to enter in notes over MIDI DIN IN and being sequenced by MIDI OUT DIN (and USB).
playinmyblues

Re: Uno - Sysex Dump?

Postby playinmyblues » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:32 pm

After reading the user manual, page 32, MIDI Implementation Chart, I see that Universal System Exclusive: Sample Dump Standard has a No as do all the other SysEx commands listed in that section.

I see that the next section below that called "Manufacturer or Non-Commercial System Exclusive" has a Yes beside it. Does this mean that we have to wait for the Software Editor to do SysEx dumps?
playinmyblues

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:05 pm

playinmyblues wrote:After reading the user manual, page 32, MIDI Implementation Chart, I see that Universal System Exclusive: Sample Dump Standard has a No as do all the other SysEx commands listed in that section.

I see that the next section below that called "Manufacturer or Non-Commercial System Exclusive" has a Yes beside it. Does this mean that we have to wait for the Software Editor to do SysEx dumps?

Currently, this type of use is not possible, but we should have some interesting news coming on the topic of SysEx soon. Keep an eye out for the latest developments with the IK news letter.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/newsletter/
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby mpavlas » Tue May 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi,

has there been any progress on sysex?

Particularly I would like to use UNO with my midi controller. To do so, it would be great to have a sysex call to "request current patch" and have uno to send the "response with patch data".

I traced the USB MIDI communication between UNO and Editor and I can see that communication like that is taking place there. Unfortunately, I did not find any description of the format.

Cheers,

Martin
mpavlas

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue May 14, 2019 3:48 pm

mpavlas wrote:Hi,

has there been any progress on sysex?

Particularly I would like to use UNO with my midi controller. To do so, it would be great to have a sysex call to "request current patch" and have uno to send the "response with patch data".

I traced the USB MIDI communication between UNO and Editor and I can see that communication like that is taking place there. Unfortunately, I did not find any description of the format.

Cheers,

Martin

We did have some updates to the user manual for these types of messages. These are outside of normal use, but if you are familiar with these kinds of messages, feel free to use these to control your unit. Unfortunately, these aren't really designed for patch sending, but controlling different modes of your unit. For sending patch information, we suggest using the UNO Synth Editor. With the new librarian feature, you should be able to breeze through sending/receiving patches from your different systems, different UNO Synth devices, or even mobile devices.

Hope this helps!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby mpavlas » Wed May 15, 2019 8:50 am

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. I did see those sysex messages and I know that I could use editor app - it looks great - but in my setup I am using one hardware MIDI controller that has multiple synths connected.

Anyways I will take a look at the MIDI messages that editor app is exchanging with UNO, maybe I will find there what I am looking for.

Thanks!

Martin
mpavlas

Postby mungewell » Thu May 30, 2019 6:35 pm

As a new Uno-Synth owner I would second the request for SYSEX dumps of current synth state (not specifically of a particular preset), and the ability to reload them.
Simon.
mungewell

Postby mungewell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi Martin,
Looks like the editor issues the following SysEx command to 'read' the current settings (might be current preset - ie without 'unsaved' changes).

It returns 2 SysEX responses, the 2nd contains the same data format as the 'unosyp' file and can be extracted by stripping off bytes at the start and 'F7' at end.

Code: Select all
amidi -p hw:1,0,0 -S 'f000211a020131f7'  -r prog.bin -t 1

# Strip off extra bits to get at 'config file' portion (note leaves 0xF7 at end)
dd bs=1024 count=1 skip=19 iflag=skip_bytes if=prog.bin of=prog.unosyp

I have seen that the editor uses another SysEx to 'write', and I am still working out exactly how that works....
Simon.
mungewell

Postby mungewell » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:00 am

In case anyone is actively watching this thread.... I have now reversed engineered enough SysEx to have (pretty much) total control to the UNO Synth.
https://github.com/mungewell/uno-synth-utils

The script here can upload patches, back-up/restore the device (ie. all patches at once) and documents specific SysEx 'commands'.

There are still some 'unknown' parameters within the patch configuration, help would be appreciated if anyone knows what they change...
mungewell

Postby mpavlas » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:38 am

Hi mungewell,

this is great! I missed your previous message. I am going to look at your github repo and test it out. Will let you know if it works for me.

Cheers,

Martin
mpavlas

Postby Galaxyflas » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Hi,
This is a great work!!
Thank you so much for this contribution to the Uno Synth.
Best regards
Galaxyflas

Postby jere.kapyaho » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Nice work on the reverse engineering, mungewell!

It would be great if the UNO Synth responded to the "Device Inquiry" Universal System Exclusive message, and maybe sent back the firmware version number in response.

Also, official System Exclusive message documentation, as supplied by most other manufacturers, would be nice...
jere.kapyaho

Postby IkUser09 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:21 pm

Hi all, I just got my Pro these days. I saved a couple of Init patches, then did a firmware update, which overwrote my custom patches with new factory patches (thanks for them, though I'm not happy that I lost mine).

I'd be very interested in, at least, SysEx dumps of the current edit buffer. Does any SysEx dump request command exist for the Pro? If not, was it possible to add it?

Yes, admittedly, SysEx dumps are rather barbed, but still have advantages over proprietary solutions:

Works on any machine, regardless of OS.
    Works with 3rd party software, such as KnobKraft Orm, SysEx librarian and the like.
    Ensures compatibility over a long period, while proprietary solutions quickly are broken (and unmaintained) by OS updates.

I'm pretty concerned about the latter issue. I usually use hardware synths for a long time, and for many synths I use(d), they still work, while the adjacent software is broken for several years now. Thus I'm quite happy they all support SysEx.

Just my two cents,

ce
IkUser09

Postby mungewell » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:06 pm

Hi CE,
I mentioned my project above in the thread, whilst not an official offering it might contain info useful to your quest - in my experience engineers are lazy/economical with their time and tend to reuse code/techniques.

The UNO drum was quite different from the UNO Synth, but perhaps the UNO Synth Pro shares some midi commands.

Feel free to ping me on GitHub if you want help/explanation about what my code does,
Simon.
mungewell

Return to UNO Synth Pro, UNO Drum & UNO Synth