How to connect UNO Synth to Ableton Live

Discuss UNO Drum and UNO Synth - IK's analog/pcm drum machine and our true analog synthesizer. Proudly designed and built by IK in Modena, Italy!

How to connect UNO Synth to Ableton Live

Postby bobvoi » Wed May 22, 2019 12:31 pm

As previously reported on this forum and directly to IK Multimedia, I have had a lot of challenges connecting the fantastic UNO Synth to my Windows machine. It is all about getting everything to work - sound, MIDI in and out - AND having a working UNO Synth Editor at the same time.

If you ever have had trouble with "WAITING FOR UNO" in the editor when connected as a VST, and/or had problems with red MIDI port names, you might enjoy some of my findings.

Since I tend to forget complex setups, I decided to write it down this time. Perhaps this could be useful for others too.

https://www.vcode.no/files/HowConnectUNOSynthToAbletonLive
bobvoi
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:42 am

Re: How to connect UNO Synth to Ableton Live

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed May 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Hey bobvoi,

Thanks for your post!

We greatly appreciate the time and effort put into this sheet. This should help get some users going.

While we do have some newly added FAQs here (Check them out if you have yet to do so). We are currently in the process of improving our FAQs and adding in some more helpful resources. Be sure to keep an eye out moving forward.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: How to connect UNO Synth to Ableton Live

Postby groovegsus » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:13 am

Same problem , any solution yet ??
No way to use the vst with the usb connection and the uno as slave.
standalone works good.
Problem occurs Only in ableton.
groovegsus
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:19 pm

Re: How to connect UNO Synth to Ableton Live

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:45 pm

What platform are you using and when you try to connect in the UNO Synth Editor, or Ableton, is your UNO Synth device listed in red?

If so, this is to indicate your UNO Synth is being used by another program and cannot be accessed. One reason this can happen is due to a Windows limitation. On this platform, only one device can be used by one program.

Due to this platform limitation, you will need to use either the UNO Synth Editor or your DAW to connect your UNO Synth. Disable your UNO Synth in your DAW to use the Editor or vise verse. If you do however want to take it to the another level, the UNO Synth will offer two ways to route MIDI which will be seen as separate devices, getting you around this limitation. You can use the 2.5mm MIDI In/Out on the UNO Synth along with the UNO Synth USB port to connect to your Windows system.

I would suggest checking with support if this information does not seem related to your case or if you need further assistance.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: How to connect UNO Synth to Ableton Live

Postby Iernesto » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:56 pm

This explains my issues of Reason's post but I have my Uno Synth disable in Reason and I'm still not able to run the Editor. I've tried with other DAWs without success. Anyway I am enjoying my Uno Synth a lot even with this limitation. The downside is that my audio interface and midi keyboard do not have midi ports :| Thanks for posting bobvoi ;)
Iernesto
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:33 pm

Re: How to connect UNO Synth to Ableton Live

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:17 pm

Iernesto wrote:This explains my issues of Reason's post but I have my Uno Synth disable in Reason and I'm still not able to run the Editor. I've tried with other DAWs without success. Anyway I am enjoying my Uno Synth a lot even with this limitation. The downside is that my audio interface and midi keyboard do not have midi ports :| Thanks for posting bobvoi ;)

I'd check with support on this one, there may be some settings being missed in Reaper, and the team tests with Reaper all the time. They should be well versed.

Open a ticket below and send me the ticket number when you can.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: How to connect UNO Synth to Ableton Live

Postby Tex-Rec » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:33 pm

Im using the UNO Shynth now for a fev weeks to , i love it , but i had this problem too with the UNO Shynth VST Editor. The stand alone version works just fine , even FL Studio works great with the VST Editor , but ableton live is ignoring to connect the VST Editor to the shynth , and the I/O showing marked as Red , even im tryed to disabled the MIDI in and out in the DAW. Im tryed everything im found for the solution , but im still stuck and can't use the VST Editor for the UNO Shynth.

Interesting part is , FL studio can handle it but ableton can't..
Tex-Rec
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Re: How to connect UNO Synth to Ableton Live

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Tex-Rec wrote:Im using the UNO Shynth now for a fev weeks to , i love it , but i had this problem too with the UNO Shynth VST Editor. The stand alone version works just fine , even FL Studio works great with the VST Editor , but ableton live is ignoring to connect the VST Editor to the shynth , and the I/O showing marked as Red , even im tryed to disabled the MIDI in and out in the DAW. Im tryed everything im found for the solution , but im still stuck and can't use the VST Editor for the UNO Shynth.

Interesting part is , FL studio can handle it but ableton can't..

I personally use Ableton Live with the UNO Synth and Editor and everything works well. I would suggest checking with support.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/

Make sure there are no programs in the background which could be trying to access your unit in the meantime. Sometimes programs seem to close, but can remain open in the background. Task Manager (Windows) or Force Close (Mac) are useful in finding apps which are open. The RED text indicates your UNO Synth is being accessed from elsewhere. Restarting your system may be a good way to ensure all programs have been closed properly.

Remember that the Ableton Live preferences must have the UNO Synth disabled. Check the MIDI tab for this option.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: How to connect UNO Synth to Ableton Live

Postby Tex-Rec » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 pm

Ryan_IK wrote:
Tex-Rec wrote:Im using the UNO Shynth now for a fev weeks to , i love it , but i had this problem too with the UNO Shynth VST Editor. The stand alone version works just fine , even FL Studio works great with the VST Editor , but ableton live is ignoring to connect the VST Editor to the shynth , and the I/O showing marked as Red , even im tryed to disabled the MIDI in and out in the DAW. Im tryed everything im found for the solution , but im still stuck and can't use the VST Editor for the UNO Shynth.

Interesting part is , FL studio can handle it but ableton can't..

I personally use Ableton Live with the UNO Synth and Editor and everything works well. I would suggest checking with support.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/

Make sure there are no programs in the background which could be trying to access your unit in the meantime. Sometimes programs seem to close, but can remain open in the background. Task Manager (Windows) or Force Close (Mac) are useful in finding apps which are open. The RED text indicates your UNO Synth is being accessed from elsewhere. Restarting your system may be a good way to ensure all programs have been closed properly.

Remember that the Ableton Live preferences must have the UNO Synth disabled. Check the MIDI tab for this option.


Already contacted support..

The thing is , when i just start up my PC ( Using Windows 10 all up to date ) i startup Ableton Live , turn on my instruments but the UNO Shynth Editor shows it as red when i go into the options of it , even nothing runed them before ( As you sayed it could be a hang in the task manager ) , when i shut down Ableton at this momment , and opet FL Studio , and drop the same VST in to a MIDI Channell , the VST works fine , connects to the shynth directly in a second , MIDI I/O reciving and sending..

Now i just wonder , why this happens to me but only in ableton , ableton is up to date too , Using an Licenced Ableton Live 10 Suite. What i dont understand is , if the VST Editor is in ableton somehow "IN USE" by something other in my rig , why at the same time the stand alone version alows it to use ? I mean if its used by something in the background , the stand alone version would show it red too , isn't it right ?
Tex-Rec
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm

Re: How to connect UNO Synth to Ableton Live

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:37 am

Tex-Rec wrote:
Ryan_IK wrote:
Tex-Rec wrote:Im using the UNO Shynth now for a fev weeks to , i love it , but i had this problem too with the UNO Shynth VST Editor. The stand alone version works just fine , even FL Studio works great with the VST Editor , but ableton live is ignoring to connect the VST Editor to the shynth , and the I/O showing marked as Red , even im tryed to disabled the MIDI in and out in the DAW. Im tryed everything im found for the solution , but im still stuck and can't use the VST Editor for the UNO Shynth.

Interesting part is , FL studio can handle it but ableton can't..

I personally use Ableton Live with the UNO Synth and Editor and everything works well. I would suggest checking with support.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/

Make sure there are no programs in the background which could be trying to access your unit in the meantime. Sometimes programs seem to close, but can remain open in the background. Task Manager (Windows) or Force Close (Mac) are useful in finding apps which are open. The RED text indicates your UNO Synth is being accessed from elsewhere. Restarting your system may be a good way to ensure all programs have been closed properly.

Remember that the Ableton Live preferences must have the UNO Synth disabled. Check the MIDI tab for this option.


Already contacted support..

The thing is , when i just start up my PC ( Using Windows 10 all up to date ) i startup Ableton Live , turn on my instruments but the UNO Shynth Editor shows it as red when i go into the options of it , even nothing runed them before ( As you sayed it could be a hang in the task manager ) , when i shut down Ableton at this momment , and opet FL Studio , and drop the same VST in to a MIDI Channell , the VST works fine , connects to the shynth directly in a second , MIDI I/O reciving and sending..

Now i just wonder , why this happens to me but only in ableton , ableton is up to date too , Using an Licenced Ableton Live 10 Suite. What i dont understand is , if the VST Editor is in ableton somehow "IN USE" by something other in my rig , why at the same time the stand alone version alows it to use ? I mean if its used by something in the background , the stand alone version would show it red too , isn't it right ?

To answer your question, yes, any program which can access the UNO Synth would show red if the device was being accessed elsewhere. I did notice in Ableton you can turn off the UNO Synth and turn it back on without any issues. That might be worth a try.

Please PM me your Ticket Number so I can look into your case further. That would be the best route forward.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:20 pm


Return to UNO Drum & UNO Synth