ARC Studio room correction ON TOP of MTM room calibration?

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

ARC Studio room correction ON TOP of MTM room calibration?

Postby Mwie » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:10 am

If you own monitors, that allow you to calibrate them to your room, should you remove that calibration before adding the ARC Studio room correction, or should you add it on top?

For example:
My iloud MTMs are calibrated to my room, with their internal calibration options. Should I first undo that calibration before adding the ARC 4 room correction that comes with ARC Studio, or should I keep it on and "stack" the ARC 4 room correction on top?

My intuition tells me that "EQing on top of EQing" could cause issues and to thus remove the calibration first. But I don't know and would really want some competent input on this topic. This is very important to me!
Mwie

Re: ARC Studio room correction ON TOP of MTM room calibratio

Postby vac713 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:57 pm

Start from scratch. Put your MTMs back to factory state.; Set them flat then proceed with the ARC4 setup.
vac713

Postby KSR12345 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:20 pm

Excuse me, just for my understanding and learning: why should one use a ARC software, when having a hardware integrated ARC? Before i bought the MTM i had speakers and a ACR from other vendors. I'm not a pro, still listener/user, my ears suggest to me, that the built in ACR does its job very well.

Greetings from Germany
KSR1
KSR12345

Postby Mwie » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:48 am

vac713 wrote:Start from scratch. Put your MTMs back to factory state.; Set them flat then proceed with the ARC4 setup.

Thank you for your input. What's the logic behind it? Avoiding phase-issues caused by EQ on top of EQ?

KSR12345 wrote:Excuse me, just for my understanding and learning: why should one use a ARC software, when having a hardware integrated ARC? Before i bought the MTM i had speakers and a ACR from other vendors. I'm not a pro, still listener/user, my ears suggest to me, that the built in ACR does its job very well.

Greetings from Germany
KSR1

Multiple possible reasons why one may want to use the ARC Studio over the integrated ARC of the MTMs:

1. The ARC Studio will run a newer and better version.
2. The integrated ARC of the small MTMs (not the Precision MTMs) doesn't require as many measurements points and thus can't possibly be as good - even if it ran the same exact "software".
3. The ARC Studio will allow you to create multiple profiles that you can switch between in the ARC 4 software. Which also features simulations of other listening environments.
4. You may have multiple speaker sets and want to run them all through the same room correction software for more similar results. (Yes, they all get their own profile, but still.)

Hope that helped!

PS: Obviously, there is less of an incentive to use ARC Studio with speakers that already come with integrated correction than with regular speakers.
Mwie

Postby KSR12345 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:20 am

Thank you.
KSR12345

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers