MTM pair in horizontal orientation, what is the consensus?

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

MTM pair in horizontal orientation, what is the consensus?

Postby thevisi0nary » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:22 pm

I have been looking for a set of smaller sized studio monitors that can be laid horizontally under my computer monitors and tilted upward. Since the MTM's come with a horizontal stand and are advertised in such a way in the marketing, I assumed that they would be good for this purpose.

This comment from IK on the gearspace forum has me a little concerned about doing this - https://gearspace.com/board/showpost.ph ... stcount=79

I am not super savvy with speaker science so my ability to interpret info like this is limited, and there isn't much to read about this specifically online that I can find.

I do not need a huge sweet spot so long as I can hear everything correctly while sitting at the desk, but I do not want to introduce problems by laying them horizontally if they are not actually intended to be used that way (issues with phase / accurate imaging / etc.).
thevisi0nary

Re: MTM pair in horizontal orientation, what is the consensu

Postby Cabezon_IK » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:34 pm

Hey there, no worries at all; These things perfectly understandable.

So fortunately enough and simply put; Yes, they can be laid down horizontally.
Remember the two drivers are the same and there is only one tweeter. So the difference is the same when mirrored.

As for the concept of "speaker science" let's keep it simple.
In Lehmans terms; Just remember your monitors should be placed in an equilateral triangle correlating to your sitting position with a 5' distance.
Keep them at least 8-12" from the back wall and the tweeters aimed towards the upper part of your ear.

Other than that, you really don't have much to concern yourself with except the environment.
....and that's a whole other topic. :D
Cabezon_IK

Postby thevisi0nary » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:19 pm

Cabezon_IK wrote:Hey there, no worries at all; These things perfectly understandable.

So fortunately enough and simply put; Yes, they can be laid down horizontally.
Remember the two drivers are the same and there is only one tweeter. So the difference is the same when mirrored.

As for the concept of "speaker science" let's keep it simple.
In Lehmans terms; Just remember your monitors should be placed in an equilateral triangle correlating to your sitting position with a 5' distance.
Keep them at least 8-12" from the back wall and the tweeters aimed towards the upper part of your ear.

Other than that, you really don't have much to concern yourself with except the environment.
....and that's a whole other topic. :D

Thank you very much. So the speakers do not have a “bottom” or “top” and can be laid on either side? Basically the top and bottom drivers are identical?
thevisi0nary

Postby Cabezon_IK » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:30 pm

Precisely.
Cabezon_IK

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers