Help: Exssieive electronic buzzing from both MTM's

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

Help: Exssieive electronic buzzing from both MTM's

Postby Ott0mation » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:07 am

I run my MTM's of a USB interface, with dedicated power.
-They buzz /noise when the GPU is being worked, and the harder the work the more noise they make.
-My Schiit Valhalla (tube) headphone amp with HD700 or HD650, Also picks up on it, but only if if I turn the volume knob on it up more than needed to for it to supply plenty of power to the headphones. It's the exact same sound.
-The MTM's pick up the sound no mater how low their gain is, and exponentially more noticeable if the gain is up; currently all my sensitivities are at the lowest as a workaround... but they're too quite and the red/clipping? The indicator led flashes easily if I turn up the PC's music.

It's crippling my setup, I don't even turn them on anymore. I work in 3DCAD software, with no audio played they sound like a hornet nest. They are fantastic speakers, but I can't run any program, not even video player, without this problem. They are acceptably clear if no GPU program is running.

Is there a fix? a workaround? Additional hardware that can get to filter it out? some upgrade?
Ott0mation

Re: Help: Exssieive electronic buzzing from both MTM's

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:19 am

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. I'm not sure what would cause this but the IK Support team would be happy to provide direct and official technical support to help resolve your issue. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Ott0mation » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:25 am

Thank you, I will do that!

You guys are the best, I love this company.
Ott0mation

Postby PPPPmusic1 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:19 pm

The MTM have a grounded power plug so you've most likely got a ground loop between your PC and the MTMs. I have the same problem with my RTX 3080. If you are running 3.5mm -> dual mono 1/4" you'll have this problem as the ground is shared. If you run balanced TRRS or XLR from an interface you won't.

The other solution you can use if you do not have a pair of balanced outputs from an interface is an Apple USB-C Dongle DAC ($10) and an Adum4160 based USB isolator and the same 3.5mm -> dual mono 1/4" cable.

If you post your setup the issue might be clearer. If you have balanced interface maybe you are using unbalanced and not TRS/balanced cables? Balanced doesn't use the ground for the part of the signal and the ground in the cable is only attached on one end so it doesn't create a loop.

I hadn't had a pair of powered speakers that were grounded in some time and this problem also surprised me.
PPPPmusic1

Postby Ott0mation » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:58 am

I've tried a number of configuration... but just realized none of my interfaces have XLR out, I'm using a UR22 MKII currently, and using TS to TS currently... would going TRS to TRS help?.. I don't have an XLR-balanced-output interface right now.

I'm also using an active splitter, volume controller so it's actually rca to TS
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000076109742.html I trust it's not adding any dirt into the signal, I've tested that much. Basically, if the pc is connected to the interface it's buzzing, but I can use other audio sources into the splitter and it's clean, even if the PC is on and working hard, sharing the same power bar.

to recap. PC-USB > UR22 > TR-RCA to Active splitter > RCA-TR to MTM.

The splitter goes to PA speakers I sometimes, a subwoofer, and my Schiit Tube amp for headphones... I had a hell of a time finding a splitting solution that worked like the one in the URL above... I don't know what else I could use / what I could optimize my entire system with. I greatly value having every output easy to adjust and in sink with the subwoofer.
Ott0mation

Postby PPPPmusic1 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:37 am

Quarter inch TRS is balanced. It uses the two rings for signal and the ground is only connected to one end.
PPPPmusic1

Postby PPPPmusic1 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:40 am

Quarter inch TRS is balanced. It uses the two rings for signal and the ground is only connected to one end. All you need is to connect the speakers using two 1/4" TRS cables from the UR22.

Anything that is unbalanced, which uses 1 conductor + ground for the signal will create the ground loop.
PPPPmusic1

Postby Ott0mation » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:33 pm

Can you suggest a product / interface /mixer /etc That I can have multi balanced outputs, and be able to control their volumes independently?
As mentioned, I use the RCA splitter which is 1in and 4 out... I will need the balanced version of that, or some all in one unit.
Ott0mation

Postby PPPPmusic1 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:16 am

Not sure what you are doing. You should just buy two TRS 1/4" to 1/4" cables and plug them into the back of UR22 and into the two speakers.

Edit: I see. Are you just using the UR22 as a dac? Normally you would just connect the UR22 directly via TRS 1/4" to the MTMs and you won't have noise. You would need another device to deal with multiplexing/splitting your RCA splitter is doing. RCA is not balanced because the signal includes the ground. Your computer is grounded to the UR22 and connected to the MTM ground via the unbalanced cables causing the noise.
PPPPmusic1

Postby PPPPmusic1 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:52 am

You'd have to show a wiring diagram. Adum USB isolator + Apple usb-c dongle 3.5 mm -> RCA Y cable -> RCA splitter would work ok. With UR22 the Afum isolator might work but you definitely cannot power the UR22 with USB from it.
PPPPmusic1

Postby Tompsy86 » Tue May 24, 2022 6:26 pm

I am also experiencing white noise. Is there a fix? I'm using Mogami XLR to my Focusrite Clarett
Tompsy86

Postby NicoLuttik01 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:26 pm

i am experiencing an extreme noise with my new monitors. they are powered with grounded power cables. i used an unbalanced xlr to jack. will try a balanced one tomorrow. i use a apollo x4, should be the same as the Focusrite.
NicoLuttik01

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers