IK i Loud Micro mk1: extreme pumping on bass heavy track

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

IK i Loud Micro mk1: extreme pumping on bass heavy track

Postby Yvngface7 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:36 pm

Hi,

So I was mixing/mastering a track at my studio (fully treated with Trinnov system), listening through Focal SM9s- track sounds great in the studio, sounds great on multiple Headphones- nice and loud, punchy and wide...all good.

At home i have the iLouds on my admin work desk--the same track played through these Micros produces extreme dips in volume whenever the bass/kick come in- literally like a sicechain type ducking....this is not apparent in any way on any other playback system ive tried.

Im worried the micros are revealing something my Focal SM9s have missed (crazy i know) and that all my reference Headphones have missed.

Is this likely to be a shortcoming of the speaker? its driving me nuts as it has zero pumping/ducking on every other system...but i have to admit its making me insecure on my mixing as the pumping is reaalllllly notcible on these i Louds. please advise as its really messing with my head!
Yvngface7

Re: IK i Loud Micro mk1: extreme pumping on bass heavy track

Postby Yvngface7 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:35 pm

on further investigation this is happening on commercial tracks too.
The Drake track Knife Talk on spotify for example- at around one minute the bass and drums cut out and its just his vocals and some pads, when the bass and drums come back in at about 1.20 the vocals and the whole track ducks, by a lot. it really sounds like some kind of compression is happening. Same thing listening to Pop Smoke - when the drums and bass cut out the whole track seems to get louder by quite a lot, it usually sounds like a slow release compressor the way it slopes up in volume. Im starting to think that this isnt to do with my mix but actually something very bad happening inside these speakers.
Yvngface7

Postby Yvngface7 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:46 pm

also the pumpimg increases the louder the playback volume. At low levels the track plays back fine with no pumping..when its turned up t a decent loud level (no redlights) the pumping comes in heavily. again- this is only happeneing on these speakers
Yvngface7

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:02 pm

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. I'm not sure what would cause this but the IK Support team would be happy to provide direct and official technical support to help resolve your issue. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Yvngface7 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:47 pm

Thanks- will report back here when i get a reply!
Yvngface7

Postby Yvngface7 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:49 pm

its now been 7 days and i have not had a reply about my issue form tech support.
Yvngface7

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers