iLoud MTM vs. Yamaha HS5

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

iLoud MTM vs. Yamaha HS5

Postby ZappaMontana10 » Sun May 16, 2021 5:02 pm

Hi everybody,
I´ve recently bought an AXE I/O + AT5 Max bundle and have been using it with headphones. I would like to buy a couple of monitors to practice, record and mix.
I am new to all this music recording and mixing. I was innitially thinking about buying a pair of Yamaha's HS5 but have been reading about the iLoud MTM's and start also considering them.
I read that they sound amazing, but also that they have several issues (weird noises, power supply failure, problems with low frequencies, etc.).
A pair of MTM is ca. EUR 855 while a pair of HS5 is ca. EUR 365 and there are no such reports of technical issues for these last ones, so I am very reluctant on going for the MTM's.
Can you guys help my with some advice? Am I comparing what is not comparable? Why should I go for the MTM's and not for the HS5, Adam A3X or similar alternatives?
Thanks a lot for the advice.
Cheers,
Jorge
ZappaMontana10

Re: iLoud MTM vs. Yamaha HS5

Postby lchalk » Sat May 29, 2021 3:52 am

too bad no responses. I am thinking of buying a pair of MTM too. Best I can do is tell you I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5 plus a 8S subwoofer in my main studio and an axi io solo running iloud micro monitors in my bedroom and I love the solo with the micro's (which I am thinking should I upgrade to the MTM) but playing guitar the micro's sound amazing I could only assume the the MTM's would sound even more amazing. Can the micros over power my krk with the sub, no but they still sound amazing
lchalk

Postby ZappaMontana10 » Sat May 29, 2021 10:55 am

Hi lchalk, thanks for your reply and information. Besides using them to mix, I also plan using the iLoud MTM speakers to play guitar through AXE I/O and Amplitube. Additionally to their sonic qualities, what really interests me is the small footprint they require, as i have not so much space available. When compared to a more traditional pair of 5'' speakers plus a pair of table tripods, the difference in size is considerable.
ZappaMontana10

Postby gavinugp » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:18 pm

I went around testing the iLoud MTM vs the Yamaha HS 5 and there is a very slight difference. I wanted to hear the if these speakers can pick up distortions. Both are able to do it and was very impressed with the iLoud. I love the HS5 but my main concern is the clarity of the distortions and found out the the iLoud matching the HS5 for sure, just a slight bit. But when I compared with the HS8 you almost cant tell them apart unless you focus on the lows, then the Yamaha HS8 comes out better. I also tested the Adam Audio, Genelec, Neumann and Focal. Unfortunately Adam Audio couldn't pick it up, the Neumann sound much better but still couldn't pick it up the distortions. The Neumann sounds like a good HiFi. The Focal Evo 65 could, that amazed me. I think if you are looking for clarity with the highs and mids iLoud MTM come just a wee bit better than the Yamaha and the Focal. You cant go wrong with these 3 speakers however the Focal has sharper highs. Yamaha however cannot compete on the lows with the Focal. So If you are just looking at one pair of speakers, go for the Yamaha or Focal because it can push in higher volume. If you want to have a cross reference of sound, which means 2 pairs, then Yamaha or the iLoud makes a great reference speakers. In the end I bought the iLoud MTM for reference and the Focal 80 evo as my main speakers. Of course the main reason for the iLoud than the Yamaha is the size and concentration on the highs and mids. Honestly you still can't go wrong with the iLoud too as your only pair, just know you cannot push it too loud for it will start to clip and the bass is limited but extremely clear. I do have the KRK 10s subs and it pairs well with all. :D
gavinugp

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers