iLoud MTM high pitched hiss (louder on one monitor)

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

iLoud MTM high pitched hiss (louder on one monitor)

Postby Lazarus451 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 pm

Hi,

new here. I just got iLoud MTM's and I noticed that there is high pitched interference noise on both of the monitors especially on the back (not on woofers). Sounds like power supply noise or something

But the other speaker is worse. Is this normal that there is a small difference in quality? I have removed all the cords and changed etc.

Can someone check that if their monitors are having identical hiss?

I might send the louder one back when they get some back to stock.

Thanks!
Lazarus451

Re: iLoud MTM high pitched hiss (louder on one monitor)

Postby Lazarus451 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:42 am

I decided to send it back to Amazon and ordered a replace from IK Multimedia. The noise level difference was so big.
Lazarus451

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:22 pm

In these cases, please note that IK Support can assist you as well via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby TJVirtan74 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:24 pm

I seem to have the same issue, I just sent Thomann (Germany) back a new pair of iLoud MTM for replacement.

Both made a very annoying whining sound when powered up. The sound consists mostly of 2.7 to 3kHz, with peak around 2.9kHz, also some higher frequency components are there.

The sound originates somewhere back side of the speaker, and it is similar how for example cheap USB-chargers whine. So, I conclude that this is a power supply problem; a noisy coil etc..

It is a very annoying and fatiguing sound/noise, here is a recording of it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rc50fqnp3hcpq ... 7.mp3?dl=0
The recording was made with cardioid-pattern mic at approximately 15cm from the back of the speaker.

Except for this issue I was really really happy with the initial (one-day) experience of these monitors, especially for the low end, and how good they perform after calibration in a non-optimal room. I am going to use these in a location that cannot be optimised for acoustics. In my other, acoustically treated space, I have had Adam A5X:s with subwoofer for years.

I am a bit worried that the replacement iLoud MTMs will have the same problem... But I hope for the best.
TJVirtan74

Postby TJVirtan74 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:13 am

TJVirtan74 wrote:I
I am a bit worried that the replacement iLoud MTMs will have the same problem... But I hope for the best.

Update:
I just received the replacements from Thomann.
Now one is good, but the other makes exactly the same whining sound/noise. 3 out of 4 not good is not good.
:|

I have now contacted IK Multimedia support about this issue. I hope this gets resolved soon, I'll post an update here when something happens. :)
TJVirtan74

Postby Lazarus451 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:24 pm

I just received my replacement from the IK Multimedia and it's having the same whine (coil whine?). Very annoying.
Lazarus451

Postby Peter_IK » Fri May 07, 2021 7:41 pm

Lazarus451 wrote:I just received my replacement from the IK Multimedia and it's having the same whine (coil whine?). Very annoying.

There was a batch that require firmware update. I'm sure that will sort it out. IK Support can walk you through specifically what's needed.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Lazarus451 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:24 pm

I just did the firmware update and now the whining is lower in pitch. But still there.
Lazarus451

Postby Peter_IK » Fri May 07, 2021 8:26 pm

Lazarus451 wrote:I just did the firmware update and now the whining is lower in pitch. But still there.

Please keep working with IK Support. I am not sure if they have a specific firmware update to share specifically for your problem or if it is the general firmware update.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Lazarus451 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:29 pm

Ok thanks, will do that!
Lazarus451

Postby Lazarus451 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 pm

The new one is still whining much louder. I can't say if the firmware update did anything. The other one is almost dead silent, but this (and the last one) is much louder.

No audio cables connected and tried with the same power cord.

I contacted the support.
Lazarus451

Postby TJVirtan74 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:31 pm

I also updated the firmware, to 1.1.4
There was no change on the whine.

Now waiting to hear from the support...
TJVirtan74

Postby Lazarus451 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:54 am

There was no fix for this. So I returned both and ordered different monitors. I'm still in a process of returning the whining one to IK multimedia. Definitely not the easiest experience.

The problem was that in 200+ voltages the psu starts whining. So, it's coil whine. Thanks for TJVirtan74 testing that!
Lazarus451

Postby TJVirtan74 » Fri May 21, 2021 10:32 am

It is now 2 weeks since I contacted the support, and the issue still remains unsolved.

One obvious solution would be that IK Multimedia will replace my faulty unit with one that they know is good. But do they even know which ones are good ??

Maybe the only way to fix this is to keep returning speakers and ordering new ones until ending up with two good ones, with luck.
TJVirtan74

Postby Peter_IK » Fri May 21, 2021 4:24 pm

Please reply to your ticket at any time to "bump" it and they should reply. If you have a ticket that is not handled to your satisfaction, please review the guidelines of this forum on this post at viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505 which details what to do in that situation.

Some issues do take longer to resolve but I'm 100% sure the team will be able to resolve your issue. Thank you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Next

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers