Sound coming from iLoud MTMs even when volume dial at zero

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

Sound coming from iLoud MTMs even when volume dial at zero

Postby aledco » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi folks.

Even when I turn my iLoud MTM's volume dials down to zero, there's still clear, loud sound coming from them.

I've tried connecting different inputs (audio interface, synths) and the issue persists, so I know that whatever causes this is related to the speakers themselves.

I would expect there to be no sound from either speaker when the volume dial is set to zero, regardless of what's being pumped into them.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks.
aledco

Re: Sound coming from iLoud MTMs even when volume dial at ze

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:32 pm

Per the manual, the Volume knob is not a "0 to 10" control. It sets the input level from -12dB to 0dB. From the Control Panel section of the manual on page 11:

Volume

This control allows you to adjust the input level of the audio source from -12dB to 0dB.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby aledco » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:45 pm

Thank you very much Peter.

Please forgive my lack of understanding around db. I read that line in the manual, but I hadn't understood it properly until you explained it, so thank you again.

In that case, am I correct in thinking:

* volume dial all the way left means output is 12db quieter than the input signal
* volume dial all the way right means output is the same volume as the input
aledco

Postby Gl4sparian » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:07 am

Hi,

I'm having the same issue. Just took my MTMs out of the box and hooked it up to my m-track left/right speaker output and laptop. Theres a low distorted sound of sorts coming out from the MTMs even when the volume knob is turned all the way left (i.e. -12db) and my interface and computer are set to mute. It comes on when i type on my keyboard and when i scroll my mouse wheel. Any help would be welcome. Thanks!

EDIT: solved problem, i had accidentally used an unbalanced speaker cable for one of the MTMs. Thanks!
Gl4sparian

Postby aledco » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:40 pm

Hey Gl4sparian. What you're describing is different to the 'issue' I thought I had.

What I experienced wasn't unexpected sounds coming from the speakers, just that the volume knob turned fully left didn't completely mute the sound coming into the speakers.

Sounds like what you're experiencing is some kind of ground loop? (I'm no expert so don't take my word for it!)
aledco

Postby wipEout2048 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:02 am

I have the exact same problem with my iLoud Micro Monitor.

A thing differs with MTM here is that the volume knob of iMM clearly states -INF at its leftmost position.
Shouldn't minus infinite mean that it will mute the signal no matter what, even with a infinitely high signal? (of course such a signal would just fry the device in reality though ;) )

I could try lowering the source output to the point the -INF position finally produced no sound, but this level of input was apparently way too low as it would then unable to generate enough volume for normal listening even at rightmost of the knob (states +6dB).

So it is impossible for iMM to mute itself within nominal input power.
It's not an issue practically as a volume knob on the back is never the fastest way to mute things, but this weird design or defect get me nervous.
wipEout2048

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:24 pm

Please report any technical issues to IK Support and they will happily assist you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Jimsterno1 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:17 pm

Use balanced cables with them and the noise is no longer there. They are the ones that look like a stereo cables with a extra band near the tip or use XLR cables because they are all balanced. It’s the frequency that we have with our power network in Europe and Uk. I had the same problem, was told to use balanced by a friend who is a sound engineer and the problem is no longer an issue at all.

Hope this helps.

Jimster
Jimsterno1

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers