question about xlr cable on iloud mtm

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

question about xlr cable on iloud mtm

Postby nunofrg » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:52 am

hello everyone!

so i recently bought the ilouds mtm and i want to connect them to my uad apollo solo interface. the interface requires trs cable so:

can i buy a both sided trs cable and be able to connect the trs cable on mtm ilouds too or is that not possible and i should i get a trs and xlr male cable? (so connect xlr male on the mtm and trs on the interface?)

for example would this cable do? https://lojamadeus.pt/pt/produtos/audio ... m-xlr-jack (i dont know if being "microphone" has any problem whatsoever..?)

thank you very much!
nunofrg

Re: question about xlr cable on iloud mtm

Postby garfy » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:51 pm

Hello nunofrg and welcome to the forum.

nunofrg wrote:can i buy a both sided trs cable and be able to connect the trs cable on mtm ilouds too or is that not possible and i should i get a trs and xlr male cable? (so connect xlr male on the mtm and trs on the interface?)

The iLoud MTM has a combined balanced XLR/Jack connection so you can do either of what you propose. The only real difference between an XLR and a balanced jack (TRS) is just the physical connection type. Ordinarily I would suggest to go with the XLR as they are more secure if there is a lock mechanism on the receiving input, but there isn't on the iLoud MTMs so it won't make a difference.

nunofrg wrote:i dont know if being "microphone" has any problem whatsoever..?

No problem. They sometimes will be referred to as a microphone cable as that is more often their job, but in essence the cable you have linked to is a balanced jack and balanced Male XLR.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers