New iLoud MM owner question about frequency testing

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

New iLoud MM owner question about frequency testing

Postby smoisan » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:13 pm

Hi,

After much reading I just purchased a pair of used iLoud Micro Monitor speakers. I have been playing them all morning here to much delight until I noticed something that keeps bugging me since.

I had the impression that some of the higher mid-range frequencies were missing on the left speaker (the active one). I could hear cymbals clear on the right one but not the left.

I am away from home at the moment so the set-up is to have the iLoud MM hooked to my HP Chromebook.

So I listened to the same song with my headphones (Sennheiser PXC-550 ii) and noticed the same thing on that song. So I went back to the speakers to listen to something else using Bandcamp. Whether it was blues, jazz or heavy metal again I had the impression something was lacking on the left side.

So I found and used a hearing test (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-iCZElJ8m0). Between 3000 and 4500hz something is missing on the left speaker.

I don't know for sure if my method is incorrect or indeed there is an issue with the speakers. I would like to know if there are other tests I could perform to verify the frequency range for both the left and right speaker.

(Of course having purchased them used I have little recourse if they are faulty as I could not listen to them before. I have to rely on the good faith of the seller. The seller and myself live 2hrs away from each other and we met midway as I am vacationing in the area. I will return home tomorrow and will be able to plug them in my amplifier for further tests.)

Thanks.
smoisan

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers