iLoud MTM Monitors for Dolby Atmos?

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

iLoud MTM Monitors for Dolby Atmos?

Postby kofi.bansah@gmail.com » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:11 pm

Hello guys. I hope you're all keeping safe and staying masked up!.

I have a fairly decent set up but I am thinking of building a new space and make it atmos compatible. Is it possible to use the iLoud MTM Monitors for a Dolby Atmos set up? I'm curious because I have scored online for answers and haven't seen anything of note. If yes, how will one go about calibrating the set up?. What subs can be used efficiently with the MTMs etc... too many questions and zero answers.

Please forgive me if I come off as a noob but I'll be eternally grateful for some constructive contributions and or comments from persons who have attempted or successfully use this monitors in such a manner.

Danke.
kofi.bansah@gmail.com

Re: iLoud MTM Monitors for Dolby Atmos?

Postby mclac53 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:27 am

I was wondering the exact same. Obviously. I have a stereo pair of MTM's now. I think any good pair subs should be okay tho. And as far as calibration goes, I figure you would just cal each speaker as you would with a stereo pair (one at a time). Also ik could just make a iLoud sub with cal. Lol. 8" similar design. I'd buy 2
mclac53

Postby thegingerlair » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:59 pm

Honestly I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Just make sure your room is small enough and run some measurements using the dolby DAART graph. It should give you all the answers you need. You might end up better off getting an ARC license, running that, then recreating the curves with dolbys output software or something similar. I'd suggest a trinnov but those are really expensive for a budget setup. Your main issue is going to be bass management that you will have to tackle using arc software and additional subs.
thegingerlair

Postby Rollo247 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:36 pm

Has anyone successfully use these in an Atmos setup? I'm seriously considering it. Could anyone from IK chime in on this?
Rollo247

Postby jt@life.church » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:28 am

Yes, I currently have a 12 MTMs with a 10” sub. I’m using Avid MTRX studio for bass management and system tuning. Not gonna lie; it sounds unbelievable!

We have another atmos room with all Genelecs and Avid MTRX, but I love mixing in this smaller room actually. The MTMs are so fun.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t0soswy9sbkt ... 9q5ga?dl=0

The dyn’s are not in the 7.1.4 config
They’re a separate stereo monitor profile

Everything you hear in these vids is the MTMs and sub.
jt@life.church

Postby Ljglmail121 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:18 pm

Honestly, I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Just make sure your room is small enough and run some measurements using the Dolby DAART graph. This will help you figure out where to position your speakers and subwoofer.

Before you begin, make sure that you know what type of sound system you have. If you have a home theater receiver with a built-in DVD player, chances are that it's an A/V receiver. If not, it's most likely an A/V preamp/processor or a stereo receiver.

If your receiver has DTS decoding capabilities, then it can decode DTS signals from DVDs and CDs without help from the processor. It just needs the right connections and a disc with DTS tracks on it.

Check the back of your receiver to see if there is an A/V input labeled "DTS." If there is one, then you're in luck! All you need to do is connect your DVD player to it and turn on the receiver when playing back DVDs encoded with DTS audio tracks. The signal should be processed by the receiver as normal and played through your loudspeakers without any additional steps.
Ljglmail121

Postby Ljglmail121 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:28 pm

The biggest issue I see with 'calibrating your room' is that it usually involves a lot of work. You're taking measurements, moving furniture around, buying acoustic panels and so on. The problem is that the majority of people who are reading this are audiophiles who will spend $2k on a speaker cable but won't spring $50-$100 for acoustic panels.

So here is my suggestion: [Mod edit: Suspicious links, in a small font, have been removed. ]

1) Buy yourself some cheap acoustic panels. Preferably ones that can easily be attached to the wall using adhesive strips (Velcro).

2) Now you have something to cover up the ugly walls and windows with.

3) Measure your room using the calibration graph provided by Dolby for free at http://www.dolby.com/us/en/content/get- ... tion-graph.
Ljglmail121

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers