iLoud Micro hiss

Discussion about IK monitors and speakers like iLoud Precison, iLoud MTM, iLoud Micro Monitor and iLoud as well as X-MONITOR software.

iLoud Micro hiss

Postby drinvincibilis » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:34 pm

Hi,

Looking around the web probably this is not a new discovery, however there certainly is a noticeable hiss at 0 output level.

Can you confirm that this is absolutely normal for this little interesting monitors?

Measured base levels, speakers turned off:

Right/left speakers measured at 10-15cm distance:

I think it would be worth to make a definite statement about the hiss level of these monitors.

Many thanks
drinvincibilis

Re: iLoud Micro hiss

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:03 pm

This is a user to user forum, so you are not going to get some official statement from IK in response to your post. Sorry about that. But you seem to have an issue with your IK product so you should definitely contact IK Support so they can take a look and get that sorted out for you. It could be many different things, and not necessarily the speakers themselves. They will troubleshoot and let you know how to resolve your issue. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby drinvincibilis » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:31 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I've opened a ticket to clarify this. Just thought it might be normal to this unit as there are mentions around the web about the Micro hiss.

Thanks
drinvincibilis

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:38 pm

drinvincibilis wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I've opened a ticket to clarify this. Just thought it might be normal to this unit as there are mentions around the web about the Micro hiss.

Thanks

No problem. What I did notice was that there aren't specific noise specs on the iLoud Micro Monitor specs page. If there is a normal level of noise (I haven't noticed a hiss like that on mine, but they're not my main studio monitors so they're in less optimal environment for more scientific analysis!) I haven't heard it. Edit, forgot to "conclude my statement" - meaning, I think noise specs would be useful in my case and probably in many where iLoud Micro Monitors are used in non-pro studio settings, away from home, from room to room, etc.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby drinvincibilis » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:49 pm

Definitely if this is a normal situation caused by the amps and also I guess quite common to monitors it would be nice to put this somewhere haha
On the other hand, being quite new to active monitors, certainly didn't hear such hiss with more pro-units. And at this level and these frequencies I must admit - noticeable at the listening position.

Regards
drinvincibilis

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:54 pm

drinvincibilis wrote:Definitely if this is a normal situation caused by the amps and also I guess quite common to monitors it would be nice to put this somewhere haha
On the other hand, being quite new to active monitors, certainly didn't hear such hiss with more pro-units. And at this level and these frequencies I must admit - noticeable at the listening position.

Regards

It does seem abnormal. The thing is with active monitors there's the possibility of interference from outside sources happening based on being hooked up to mains power etc. In my last home studio I definitely needed power conditioners and an ebtech unit to squelch the noise on one of the circuits in the room (luckily there were two separate circuits for each half of the set of outlets in there).
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby drinvincibilis » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:40 pm

Yeah I was also considering some interference. I've isolated Micros from other devices attached to the same mains socket but didn't help. I will experiment with moving them around my apt.
drinvincibilis

Postby Jimsterno1 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:13 pm

Stop sending your speakers back and just buy some balanced cables for them. They are the ones that have an extra band before the tip like a stereo cable. You won’t get any white noise then. I had the same problem and spoke to a friend who is a sound engineer. He looked at me like I was an idiot and then spent half an hour explaining electrical interference and looking smug. Anyway it does the trick, it’s nothing to do with faulty speakers but it’s the frequency our electrical current in Europe works at. Hope this helps.

Jimster
Jimsterno1

Postby juanvanlier@upcmail.nl » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:58 am

Hi,

Same problem here. A static audible noise level. Switching audio cables (balanced or unbalanced), power sockets, cable separation (audio/power), room position; nothing changes this phenomena. I've even installed a second pair of iLoud Micro Monitors to check but they have exactly the same issue! I've never heard any monitors with a noise level like this before. It's a pity but this is not going to work for me.

Goedeloe
juanvanlier@upcmail.nl

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:03 pm

There isn't a very high noise level in iLoud Micro Monitor. I'm sure IK Support can help you figure out what is happening in your setup.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby tutorial35 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:18 am

I have the same issue. White noise with no RCA connected and it ramps up with the volume.
I also tried with ifi AC ipurifier on the power outlet and ifi DC ipurifier2 on the monitor’s power input.

Nothing solved it. Is it normal to have such high noise floor for this product?
tutorial35

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:07 pm

It is not, as I mention above. IK Support can assist you with any issues you are having. Thank you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to IK Monitors and Speakers