Using an electric guitar as the midi input device?

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Using an electric guitar as the midi input device?

Postby intouchweb » Sun May 21, 2023 2:40 pm

I have purchased IK Multimedia Modo Bass as I do not own a real bass guitar (only an electric guitar). I am more skilled at playing guitar than a keyboard, so I am wondering if I can use an electric guitar as the midi input device for Modo Bass in Reaper? Does Modo Bass cater for this option, and if not is it possible via another plugin or technique, or should I add it to a wish list? PS: I have seen the technique suggested in this video (https://youtu.be/G8D2jEhbN7Y) but the quality is not good (eg artifacts and latency). Thanks in advance!
intouchweb

Re: Using an electric guitar as the midi input device?

Postby thomashood1 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:01 am

I bought this a few yours ago and it works great. midi guitar 2
thomashood1

Postby BarryLegg1980 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:20 pm

intouchweb wrote:I have purchased IK Multimedia Modo Bass as I do not own a real bass guitar (only an electric guitar). I am more skilled at playing guitar than a keyboard, so I am wondering if I can use an electric guitar as the midi input device for Modo Bass in Reaper? Does Modo Bass cater for this option, and if not is it possible via another plugin or technique, or should I add it to a wish list? PS: I have seen the technique suggested in this video (https://youtu.be/G8D2jEhbN7Y) but the quality is not good (eg artifacts and latency). Thanks in advance!

I did exactly this in Cubase just recently, can’t remember the name of the plugin (it’s a built in Cubase plug) - just recorded a guitar take, and used the plug to extract note info from the guitar take (it even managed to work out pitch bend events!) - I just took that midi and used it on a Modo bass instrument track, worked incredibly well - minimal cleanup of midi data was needed.
BarryLegg1980

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:28 pm

Cubase will do it and quite well using Variaudio. This video is a good quick runthrough of this technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq5T0OSmqF0

I've also similar built-in tools in Cubase for detection of different drum kit parts for drum replacement when I didn't want to use a drum replacement tool.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS