MODO DRUM Kits vs Parts

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

MODO DRUM Kits vs Parts

Postby DJDbeats » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:59 am

Hey guys, just wanted to ask a quick question about how MODO DRUM works.
When creating a kit, you have the ability to mix and match parts from different kits. However, the original kit that you started with is the one the preset shows as, even if none of the parts are from the original kit anymore (as far as I know).

My question is, does starting with a different kit affect the sound in any way?
If I start with the Studio kit, then remove all mixer effects, and replace all the drums with pieces from a completely different kit, let's say the Plexi kit, will that sound any different than starting with the Grungy kit, removing all the mixer effects, and replacing all the drums with Plexi kit drums? And I assume if no, there wouldn't be a difference between using just the Plexi kit with no mixer effects and using another kit replaced with Plexi kit drums?

I have to ask, cause if there's a difference, I'd like to take advantage or avoid any issues as well.
DJDbeats

Re: MODO DRUM Kits vs Parts

Postby DJDbeats » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:00 am

If there is a difference, could you kindly explain the difference to me?
I appreciate it, thank you!
DJDbeats

Postby KlausWalker77 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:41 pm

I've been using modo drums for a small period of time and I don't know much about drums but I believe I have experienced some little, subtle differences in the kit sounds when starting with a particular kit and then changing the parts. I was disappointed with the sound of most kicks and changed them to a different one a few times, the one from the "silver kit"(my favorite). But sometimes I wouldn't get the same sound from it when I started off with a particular kit and after that, I decided to begin with the silver kit preset.

So not exactly sure but I think there is a difference indeed and the starting kit does affect the sound overall. The best thing you can do is to try and experiment with the sounds. Select one kit from the list and apply it to your song to find the closest match then change the rest to what's necessary. I know that this reply does not fully answer your question and it'll take time and effort but you might find the right sound eventually.
KlausWalker77

Postby DJDbeats » Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:35 pm

Thanks for your reply and insight.

I'm not concerned about finding the right sound as I design my own realistic presets from scratch, but I think it's important to know that starting with a different kit model when designing can impact the final sound of my kit, even when replacing and customizing all parts of the kit.

Just to make sure;
Did you check if the mixer was empty on each kit?
Most presets have different settings on the mixer, so make sure you remove the effects and set the levels to normal before making a comparison, as well as the room (sound booth is probably easiest to do a comparison with). While I don't quite have time to test it myself, I can be satisfied with a test done in this way by anyone.
I really hope IK Multimedia has something to say about the technical side of it, though. Thanks again!
DJDbeats

Postby DJDbeats » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:03 pm

No comment from IK Multimedia on this? :cry:
DJDbeats

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:37 am

DJDbeats wrote:No comment from IK Multimedia on this? :cry:

This is a user forum with official IK announcements. If you have a technical issue, please report it to IK Support for direct and official IK support for the issue as this is not a technical support forum. Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS