MODO DRUM 1.5 & extension packs DO NOT function properly

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

MODO DRUM 1.5 & extension packs DO NOT function properly

Postby DjM_7777777 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:23 am

Hi there. I bought the Ultimate bundle that came with MODO DRUM (1.5) and several extension sound packs. However, I have experienced a huge problem with it, and do believe I found faulty logic in their application programming. And I cannot get support to answer my queries on topic, after spending a lot of time documenting the situation, making screen prints and sending some pretty good analysis their way...it's been months....no response.

THE PROBLEM: when I change the content directory- that includes the 3 Factory content files -to my D drive (where I keep all my content), MODO DRUM 1.5 will no longer work. It states that it cannot locate the Factory content. And it doesn't let me into the program to set it back to the C drive...locked out! A reinstallation makes the same situation- cannot locate Factory Content.

So, I did something that I don't like doing- hack my registry. Apparently, the uninstaller leaves 10-15 MODO DRUM artifacts that keep me from fixing the problem. Again, locked out. After deleted all MODO DRUM artifacts, I was able to use the application. However, all of my extension packs- that came with the Ultimate Bundle -expired, so I cannot download and reinstall them...left with just the Factory Content. And I want them on D, not C.

Of course, to get MODO DRUM 1.5 working, again, I need to hack my registry because the uninstallation problem leaves entries that put me right back in the same situation..."Cannot locate Factory Content". So, we have a broken uninstaller and a "feature" (ie change content directory) that does not work properly; leaves the user with a broken program and the situation where a reinstallation does not fix it...as it probably should. Maximum drag.

What a mess and I cannot get IK to check this out, provide useful feedback, and/or fix the problem. Why? Methinks, they should be thanking me for the documentation, screen prints, and analysis. What's the gaffe???

FYI: I have been using IK products since version 1 of everything. And I am totally put off by how this whole situation has unfolded...no response. Nothing. :?
DjM_7777777

Re: MODO DRUM 1.5 & extension packs DO NOT function properly

Postby DjM_7777777 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:34 am

Just heard back from support. And I have documented the problem, in case others fall into this, as well.

The short answer is: not all .pak files can be moves/copied to the SOUND CONTENT FOLDER. Install the MODO DRUM files from the Install Modo DERUM (Ver. 1.5.0) EXE on C. And if the user wants to use an alternate SOUND CONTENT FOLDER, just put the extensions there and nothing else.

If a mismatch is encountered, MODO DRUM 1.5 will not start up properly; will constantly present an error indicating that it cannot find the Factory Content Library. And the user cannot get into the app.

I played around with this several times and found that:
1) MODO DRUM requires the ModoDrum.pak, ModoDrumConfig.pak, and ModoDrumFactoryContent.pak files on the C drive where it is installed
2) Only the extension .pak files (eg Grungy, Jazzy, Plexi, et al) can reside in the SOUND CONTENT FOLDER

When this balance is upset, MODO DRUM will constantly bark at not being able to locate the Factory Content Library, regardless of what .pak file is where.

So, it doesn’t make sense to copy the ModoDrumFactoryContent.pak file to the SOUND CONTENT FOLDER, as this will generate the error.
DjM_7777777

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS