Out of tune Modo Bass revisited

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Out of tune Modo Bass revisited

Postby Joeystebanuk56 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:50 pm

Anything new about a fix ?

'm not using pitch wheels or anything like that. Everything is turned off in options in control, no slides, bends, etc. When using midi controller or qwerty keyboard same thing happens. I've been in contact with support but no solution. Sometimes it's fine after the track plays for a while. Other times, it's at random, from slight to bad to unusable. Totaly unpredictable. My sample and bit rates all match. All is set at 440 for tuning.

I've been trying to ask everyone a simple question but nobody will answer so I'll try here, could it possibly be my Focusrite Scarlett 212 3rd Gen ? I'm at a loss, I've exhausted the internet and support from IK, Presonus and Focusrite. My computer is optimized. I'm using an ACER i7, lots of ram, ssd, that's not an issue. I use Studio One 5, Windows 10.

It's been almost three weeks and I don't know where to turn. I don't know if it's my computer, studio one, modo bass or what, I'm totaly at a standstill and have no idea what to do anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Joeystebanuk56

Re: Out of tune Modo Bass revisited

Postby rMidi » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:06 pm

It is not your hardware, audio interface, operating system, ...
It is an issue with MODO bass.

I opened a ticket on 12/07/21 (#2627702).
I received a response in 12/20/21.
I replied with a link to a zip file containing the issue completely documented.
I have not received as response from tech support.

Perhaps the issue has been addressed in the upcoming release of MODO Bass 2.0?
rMidi

Postby Joeystebanuk56 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:38 pm

Thanks for the reply rMidi. It's a really strange issue. It sounds to me like a fluctuating sample rate issue. When I apply a tuner to the track it shows what I'm hearing. It wavers in out of tune. I'm not tech savvy so I don't have a clue what to check besides the obvious sample rate settings. The support from the above companies that I mentioned are trying to help but it's been a dead end street. I now have a different guy from Presonus trying to help me out and I just might have some luck now, he seems to know what he's doing, we're going to try again next week. It's too bad because Modo Bass is fabulous plugin when it works and I really want to fix things because it's a real difference maker for me.

In regards of the new version 2.0 fixing the issue, one can only hope. I'm going to try the free CS version when it's available and see what happens with it when it comes to this issue. I really don't want to upgrade to the 2.0 because I don't need or want all the extra options, the only thing I'm interested in are the patterns and possibly the upright bass. I also see they made some slight changes to " control ". I went through all my settings countless times, tried different things but ....... !!!!!! I'm confident the issue will get resolved but it's been several weeks now and it's affecting my work flow big time. I can use a real bass but after hearing Modo Bass it's much better than I am when it comes to bass. I'm a guitarist. I don't have that special touch or the proper technique when it comes to bass playing that good real bass players have.
Joeystebanuk56

Postby rMidi » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:09 pm

Yea...

Did you get my PM?

The out of tune issue does not occur with me that often (Maybe 10 times in a six-hour session).
It is especially tragic if it happens during a master rendering.

I have modified my habits as follows (to minimize grief):
I normally do drums and bass first, then guitars, keyboards, vocals, ...
-- I use Ample Sound – Ample Bass P Lite II initially.
-- I know have a MIDI track for my bass notes.
-- Record the rest and do not worry about the out of tune.
-- Not go back and replace Bass P Lite with MODO bass.
-- Modify the MIDI (edit it in the MIDI grid) to add Legato Slides, Vibrato, Force Strings, I.e., all of the control things that make MODO bass sound realistic.
- Mix and Master,
rMidi

Postby Joeystebanuk56 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:43 pm

Yes I did get your message and I did see your previous postings. That's what I've also been doing, laying down the bass and drum tracks first and trying to get things done when Modo bass is behaving but it's tough. I'm hoping to have the bass corrected before I master the final products. I tried other bass plugins including the one you mentioned but they just don't have the sound and character that Modo bass have, to my ears and personal liking anyway, I rather use a real bass and do the best I can. I just love the Bass Man 5, it suits everything I do and can get it setting in the mix nicely every time, I love the sound of it, I also like the 70s J Bass when it comes to a Fender sound and will have use for the Flame Bass. After using the Bass Man 5 it's hard for me to settle for anything else so I must get the issue fixed.

I failed to mention that when the issue started it effected the synths also but I was able to correct a few things in my computer settings that went awry, probably through a Windows update ?, it corrected the synths but it didn't help the Modo Bass issue. The synths are now fine but not Modo. Maybe that will give you a bit of a clue in my particular situation ? But saying that, if it corrected the synths it should have corrected Modo. It was behaving quite well the past few days but this morning it was back to having a bad day. I have a couple of tracks where it's just the bass and drums starting out and I can hear right away if Modo is going to be an issue even before the other instruments come in, if it has that " odd " sound I know right away it's going to have a bad day. So hopefully it will be eventually resolved one way or the other. IK makes a great product, I have Amplitube 5 and just love it and now I'm working with Modo Drum, love the snare and hi hats. Anyway, here's hoping the issue will be resolved soon.
Joeystebanuk56

Postby Sakendrick01 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:29 pm

I'm having the same issue - also turned off bending, and other features in configuration (using Cakewalk). It's very random, but when it's out of tune, the whole track is out of tune. Usually I restart and it goes away. I have on occasion had it go away without restarting (again random). Some synth plugins have a reset like when keys get stuck... does Modo have something like this?

I hope we don't have to upgrade to get a fix. I just bought modo bass, and love it, but was a little depressed when they released v2 about a week after I bought.
Sakendrick01

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:36 pm

Almost every, if not every, single report of this is a MIDI setting not reset (pitch bend/slide I believe) to default. I would recommend continuing to work with support since there is no recreated bug about the program actually being out of tune. They will be able to track down what's happening and fix it for you.

The "fix" for people using MODO BASS 2 is a panic button that resets the MIDI settings that set pitch bend at something other than the correct pitch, so it isn't required but you can see how the issues reported about "out of tune MODO BASS" are resolved even in the new version.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:41 pm

Basically people having this issue typically are using CC5 (Default value) 0 = -1 Semitone, 64 = No bend, 127 = +1 semitone. Note that 0 is NOT "zero bend" but is -1 semitone, and 64 is no bend and should be the proper settings. Also note that you might use a custom assignment for the bend so adjust your CC accordingly to match your custom assignment.

If a previous clip uses bend, use the new clip to send bend back to 64 using the CC5 (or custom assignment)
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Sakendrick01 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:22 pm

THank you - in an effort to prove that it wasn't a midi setting, I went back and inspected and I think in my case you are probably right. I thought I had turned off all bending in config and in midi, but when digging in, I had a bend at the end of my track that stayed at the adjusted pitch... and so it was likely only happening if I played all the way through. The Wheel setting would stay at that point until until the bend event occurred again. I'll see if it comes up again, but that probably was the cause.
Sakendrick01

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:50 pm

Sakendrick01 wrote:THank you - in an effort to prove that it wasn't a midi setting, I went back and inspected and I think in my case you are probably right. I thought I had turned off all bending in config and in midi, but when digging in, I had a bend at the end of my track that stayed at the adjusted pitch... and so it was likely only happening if I played all the way through. The Wheel setting would stay at that point until until the bend event occurred again. I'll see if it comes up again, but that probably was the cause.

What is a big ol' PITA is what I mention in the second part of my reply, really. I think that's the kind of thing that catches people where you'd think a new clip/area/etc would be reset because it kind of makes sense, or a case like yours where it happens if you play through a track or similar. In short, when something is difficult to troubleshoot even when you know exactly what is likely causing the issue is not fun.

That's why MODO BASS 2 has the "panic" button to try to help out there. Sometimes it is easier than finding a needle in a haystack of there's a lot of MIDI to analyze. It may not appear as elegant as some might prefer and I can understand that sentiment completely. But it works and really can save a lot of time and aggravation.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby DarkStar » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:35 pm

Sakendrick01 wrote:THank you - in an effort to prove that it wasn't a midi setting, I went back and inspected and I think in my case you are probably right. I thought I had turned off all bending in config and in midi, but when digging in, I had a bend at the end of my track that stayed at the adjusted pitch... and so it was likely only happening if I played all the way through. The Wheel setting would stay at that point until until the bend event occurred again. I'll see if it comes up again, but that probably was the cause.

Some DAWs do a "Reset MIDI CC" on playback start but that would only work if you can specify the reset value to be 64 in this case. So, to avoid being tripped up in the future, add a bend value of 64 to the end of your track or clip.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS