Change instrument to trigger?

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Change instrument to trigger?

Postby Fishtrain » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:01 pm

I'm a guitarist, so I'm not really up on MIDI terminology (understatement of the year!!), so I'll ask a question in simple terms that I understand!

I'm using MODO drums and when I tap 'PAD 4' on my Akai<PD218, it plays a (frankly, useless) handclap sound. I will NEVER need this, so I'd like it to play something else. Is there a way I can achieve this?

I reset the pad itself, but when I try it in Logic I can't load my new set, so it plays the default, with the handclap.

Any help would be much appreciated (please remember, you're talking to a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff!!!). Thanks
Fishtrain

Re: Change instrument to trigger?

Postby Ultimate Performer » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:33 pm

Fishtrain wrote:I'm a guitarist, so I'm not really up on MIDI terminology (understatement of the year!!), so I'll ask a question in simple terms that I understand!

I'm using MODO drums and when I tap 'PAD 4' on my Akai<PD218, it plays a (frankly, useless) handclap sound. I will NEVER need this, so I'd like it to play something else. Is there a way I can achieve this?

I reset the pad itself, but when I try it in Logic I can't load my new set, so it plays the default, with the handclap.

Any help would be much appreciated (please remember, you're talking to a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff!!!). Thanks

It would be to your benefit to learn at least the basics of MIDI.You'll get more response as forums are filled with posts using the "idiot" excuse..no one is an idiot..Lazy..maybe.

Take the time and read the manuals at least once , you'll be surprised how much you'll pickup.
There are standard (GM) MIDI Note Mappings for Drums(Percussion) and MIDI Channel(10) which is what the majority of Vst/Software including MODO Drum uses.
It's when you get into modules or Vst/Software that support multiple zones (tom rims..multiple zone cymbals etc) is when you get into the GM Extended mappings.
MODO Drum doesn't support tom rims..instead there are left/right "Play Style" MIDI Note assignments/mapping.

DAW's/Software may have their own default MIDI/Key Map for MIDI Note and Channel mapping so it also recommended to read the DAW/Software Manual to understand it's MIDI Mapping.
EXAMPLE:
EZ Drummer has a different MIDI/Key map for every Drum Kit and you can't change it..you have to remap the module/TMI or DAW.

You'll notice in the GM Standard MIDI/Key Map..39 = Hand Clap..
The MPD218..PAD 4 default MIDI Note assignment/mapping is 39.
The MODO Drum Default Preset MIDI Note assignment/mapping for the Hand Clap is 39.

GM Standard key Map

You are going to have to do some remapping..there are options..and choices.

For using MODO Drum Standalone (or any other Drum Vst/Software)..download the MPD218 Editor and remap the MPD218.You can create your own preset(s) and assign/group the instruments to the PAD layout you prefer instead of scattered with a Hi Hat or Cymbal in between Toms etc.Then create a Preset in MODO Drum or you can create a preset in MODO Drum to match the MPD218 factory/default MIDI Mapping... all the pads are assigned numbers 1-16..Left to right..bottom to top..MIDI notes in numerical order 36-48.

I created a quick reference for the MPD218 Factory default assignments/mapping

MPD218 EDITOR
https://www.akaipro.com/mpd218

For Logic Pro (Drum Kit Designer) you can also use the Scripter...there is also "smart controls" for MIDI Controllers but I don't know if it applies to the MPD218 or if just for Keyboard controllers etc... the best place for additonal help would be the Logic Pro Forum.

Logic Pro Help: MIDI Mapping Drums
https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... p?t=133834
Ultimate Performer

Re: Change instrument to trigger?

Postby Ultimate Performer » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:21 pm

I moved folders/files around on my image account which broke a link and couldn't edit my post for new link..here is the new link..

I created a quick reference for the MPD218 Factory default assignments/mapping

Chaser @ alesisDRUMMER
Ultimate Performer

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS