Cannot Install Modo Drum on Mac: “Needs CPU with AVX Error

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Cannot Install Modo Drum on Mac: “Needs CPU with AVX Error

Postby james.k.lisowski » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:37 am

I cannot install Modo Drum on my Mac and keep getting an error message that reads “MODO Drum needs CPU with AVX Support”.

I’m using a brand new Crossgrade boxed version of MODO Drum with the USB Stick directly for the install. I’m running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6, the processor is 2.93 GHz intel Core i7. Memory is 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

What is exactly the issue. Is my computer “too old? Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks!
james.k.lisowski

Re: Cannot Install Modo Drum on Mac: “Needs CPU with AVX Err

Postby DarkStar » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:10 am

Hello James,

I am sorry for the problems that you have run into. Yes, MODO Drum requires support for "AVX instructions". AVX is an extension to x86 that allows a (quite significant) speed up in certain floating point operations.

How do I know if my CPU supports AVX?
The easiest way to find that out would be to find out the CPU model number from system information and to look it up on the manufacturers website. Another quick way would be to look at how old the CPU is as processors with AVX support were mainly launched in 2011

So it depends on exactly which CPU you have.

IF you have any MeldaProduction plug-ins installed, you can check this using the Settings/ System Information:

(So I do not have MODO Drum installed).
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Re: Cannot Install Modo Drum on Mac: “Needs CPU with AVX Err

Postby garfy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:40 am

Hey James

james.k.lisowski wrote:I’m running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6, the processor is 2.93 GHz intel Core i7. Memory is 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

These specs suggest you're running a 2010 27" iMac on a Lynnfield processor. This was the processor line before the Sandy Bridge model released in 2011, which would mean unfortunately your Mac doesn't support the AVX instructions required by MODO Drum.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS