Problem with MODOBASS sticking to open strings

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Problem with MODOBASS sticking to open strings

Postby simiejh » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:18 am

Hi there. I've just downloaded MODOBASS and have been happily playing around with it in Logic Pro x 10.4.3, but on a quite regular basis the bass suddenly resorts to only playing "open string" pitches, no matter what I am playing on my input keyboard. The only way to resolve it is to either reselect a bass guitar or press the "return to default" button. This is proving to be an issue, as I am not feeling I can trust the plugin at all.

Can anyone suggest why this might be happening and how to fix it???
simiejh

Re: Problem with MODOBASS sticking to open strings

Postby dlgebert » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:17 pm

simiejh wrote:but on a quite regular basis the bass suddenly resorts to only playing "open string" pitches, no matter what I am playing on my input keyboard.

Can anyone suggest why this might be happening and how to fix it???

simiejh,

On page 22 in the "MODO_BASS_User_Manual.pdf", it mentions:

Code: Select all
Chapter 6 – Play Style

6.5 – Other Play Style parameters

OPEN STRING: enable the possibility to play open strings in a riff.

Select the "Play Style" tab and make sure "OPEN STRING" is de-selected.

This can be turned on and off by string by hitting certain keys on the keyboard. Below is from the user manual:

Code: Select all
Chapter 10 – Control

This section displays the main controls of the software, such as MIDI controls, Pitch Wheel, Keyswitches and other settings that allow you to control MODO BASS with a MIDI controller in the most convenient way.

FORCE C STRING, FORCE G STRING, FORCE D STRING,
FORCE A STRING, FORCE E STRING, FORCE B STRING

Forces the use of the related string.

The default keys are:

FORCE C STRING = C-1
FORCE G STRING = G0
FORCE D STRING = D0
FORCE A STRING = A-1
FORCE E STRING = E0
FORCE B STRING = B-1

You can turn each of these off by going into the "Control" tab and changing "KS" to "Off" for each of them.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby dlgebert » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:07 pm

simiejh wrote:Can anyone suggest why this might be happening and how to fix it???

simiejh,

Did disabling the keyswitches listed above resolve your issue?

Dave
Last edited by dlgebert on Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlgebert

Postby dlgebert » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:15 am

See previous post.
dlgebert

Postby simiejh » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi. Sorry - I have been away from my studio for a while, so only just managed to get back on and check this out. I don't think it's anything to do with keyswitches. They are all set to off and I just had the same issue again, with the bass I was using suddenly switching to only playing open strings - even though the "play style" was not highlighted as open string.

Any other ideas??

I don't understand it and it's very frustrating!
simiejh

Postby dlgebert » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:02 pm

simiejh wrote:Any other ideas??

I've been using MODO Bass since it was released and except for those two things, that's the only thing I can think of. I haven't run into that issue myself.

This is where the moderators would suggest raising a support ticket, so that would be my next step...

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

Dave
dlgebert

Postby heathweber » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:57 pm

For what it's worth, I'm having this issue, as well, and it has been very frustrating. I have a ticket open with support but they have not yet been able to resolve. I sent them my Cubase project file last night for their analysis, but this issue has been reported for the past few years and I'm yet to see any indication of a resolution. Must be a bug, and a significant one at that.

I bought MODO Bass some time ago, but only just started using it recently. I was very excited about it when I saw how detailed it is and how good it can sound, which was soured when I ran into this issue. I now have a track that I need to complete that plays fine until around 3/4 of the way through, when MODO Bass started playing all open string notes rather than the programmed MIDI notes.

I guess I'll have to wait until IK Support reviewed my project file and comes back, hopefully, with a solution or root cause.
heathweber

Postby dlgebert » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:21 am

heathweber wrote:Must be a bug, and a significant one at that.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I've been using MODO Bass since it came out. I had some issues with the version 1.0 running Windows and Sonar and later with Reaper on my iMac.

I didn't use it again until version 1.5 came out and it's been rock solid for me on my iMac using Studio One 4.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby heathweber » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:22 am

That all sounds very nice for you, however it's not relevant to those of us who are experiencing some significant issues with it and are on different systems or DAWs. I'm currently using the latest version (1.5.1) in Cubase, and am experiencing the same issue that others have reported in regard to certain MIDI sequences only triggering open string notes.

As there are multiple reports of this same issue dating back years, IK really needs to come out with a fix in the form of an update to the software, or instructions for users on how to resolve the issue. For some reason they keep all of their customer support a big secret. I've seen instances where they shut down any posts on the forum where a user shares a solution to a problem provided by IK support. This makes no sense, and the only reason I can see for it is that they are trying to hide flaws in their products, or don't want to be seen as admitting to a flaw existing.

I'm awaiting a reply from IK Support on this. If they can provide a solution to this problem, or if I can determine that the issue is caused by my own error, then I'll gladly eat my words. I'm not counting on it, though, given that this issue goes back three or four years, and the latest version of the software still exhibits the issue and nobody has come forth to announce the root cause and solution.
heathweber

Postby DarkStar » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:45 am

While there are multiple reports, the underlying causes may or may not be the same. The more information that Support gets the more it will be able to fix the problem(s).

When a solution is diagnosed then the software will be fixed and released.

Individual customer support is not published for that same reason. A solution to my problem will not necessarily solve anybody-else's. And could complicate things. The forum rules do not allow "Posting of ANY direct correspondence between you (or other parties) and IK Multimedia"

Having said that it is perfectly OK to post that working with Support did resolve a specific problem. If you see a post like that, then raise a Support Ticket and ask if that solution would apply in your own case.

Threads are closed when the original issue has been resolved. Members are encouraged to start a new thread if they have a similar-looking issue. And, yes, a few threads are removed completely.

I see that you are in touch with Support; please continue to do so. Remember that you can ask for a progress report at any time, by replying to the support email.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DarkStar » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:52 am

If this problem is happening frequently or predictably, may I suggest the following?

Record the MIDI that causes the problem into a project in your DAW. Export the recorded MIDI to a MIDI file and send both the DAW project file and the MIDI file to Support, explaining when the change in play style occurs. Maybe with a few screenshots.

Also, if you can, playback the recorded MIDI to recreate the problem and record a video showing the MIDI and the change in play style. Licecap ( https://www.cockos.com/licecap/ ) is a good tool for that.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby heathweber » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:02 pm

Underlying causes may not be the same, but then again, they may. It would certainly be helpful to be able to try user-shared previous solutions, and then open a ticket with support only after those solutions fail. This seems a far more efficient process. Given that it's been over three years (from what I've seen on the forums) that this issue was reported, and I'm still experiencing it in the latest version of the software, that tells me that previous attempts to resolve this issue have failed. This is the first forum I've seen where the sharing of support issue resolutions is not allowed. For example, solutions on the Steinberg forums are regularly shared among forum members. That's the whole point of a user support forum.

I've already sent my project file to IK Support. My issue is not a change in playing style within MODO Bass. That would be easy to resolve as it would have to be the result of a key switch or CC trigger. The issue is that MODO Bass, for no apparent reason, does not play the specified MIDI notes in the sequence, but rather plays only the open string notes, presumably the open string notes of the strings that the sequenced notes would be played on otherwise.

I'm hoping to hear back from IK Support soon and hopeful for a solution.
heathweber

Postby dlgebert » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:45 pm

heathweber wrote:for no apparent reason, does not play the specified MIDI notes in the sequence, but rather plays only the open string notes, presumably the open string notes of the strings that the sequenced notes would be played on otherwise.

This is the one thing I wanted to check back with you on. I also play real bass, so I'll use that visual to ask my question.

Let's say for example, if I was playing an open "A" "riding" bass line on a real bass, and then on the same "A" string, I move up the neck to play a "C" note, but instead of hearing the "C" note, I would still hear an open "A"? Is this the issue you are running in to?

Or, is the issue that if you're playing an "A" note on the "A" string on the 12th fret, but you're still hearing the open "A" string?

Thanks- Dave
dlgebert

Postby heathweber » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi, Dave. The first example you gave is the issue I'm running into. If I have a sequence of notes that would normally be played on the A string, all of the notes are played as an open A. So if my sequence is A, C, D, MODO Bass will play A, A, A. Now, this doesn't happen all of the time. In the current track I'm working on, the bass line plays fine until bar 85, after which this problem presents itself and all notes from that point forward are played as open string notes rather than the sequenced notes.

I've yet to determine what triggers this behavior. I plan to spend some more time tonight troubleshooting and experimenting to see if I can narrow it down. I will likely try sequencing the parts again just to make sure I don't have any errant pitch bend or slide events that might be impacting how MODO Bass responds, which I don't believe I do, but just to make sure as I'm running out of ideas and time.

Apologies if I was a little snarky before. I'm getting a bit frustrated with this, as you can probably tell. These tools are supposed to make our lives easier, so it's quite annoying when they create problems instead. :)
heathweber

Postby DarkStar » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:09 pm

^^^
Would you be happy to upload that MIDI file (or a cut-down clip that still shows the problem) somewhere safe so that others can try it out to see if they can recreate the problem? Also, which DAW are you using?
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Next

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS