Modo Drums Brushes

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Modo Drums Brushes

Postby Donhughes » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:20 am

I wonder if there’s Brushes to change out Sticks in Modo Drums? Possibly Jazz Grooves also?
Donhughes

Re: Modo Drums Brushes

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:12 pm

There are currently no brushes. I believe this has been requested in the official wishlist thread in this subforum but if not I'd suggest adding it there.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Donhughes » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks for your reply. Disappointing but can understand why. As you say maybe in the future. The Jazz world will have to wait?
Donhughes

Postby PerryD » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:14 am

I would like to see brushes modeled as well. With the cymbals being sample based, that would also mean adding a set of brushed cymbal samples. Perhaps simulating brushes for the existing cymbals (like simulating sordino strings in many libraries) might somehow work? The cymbals represent most of the library footprint...so maybe users who appreciate the small disk space required for Modo Drum would not like the added space. Modo Drum already sounds very good to me. I think I would rather see refinement of what it is, than trying to make it do everything.
-Perry-
PerryD

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Please make sure any wishlist items are entered in the wishlist thread in this subforum.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby cick005 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:46 pm

Just out of curiosity, could someone describe how they envision the brushes to work in a digital environment? Do you refer only to hits to the drums and cymbals in a manner similar to how sticks are used?

Playing brushes on a snare is a fairly complex matter, similar to playing hand drums, if not more. The drum head can be choked with one hand while playing it with another. The sound changes based on the Y-axis angle at which the brush is held. Positional sensing is finally around and it would help because where the head is played makes a huge difference in the sound.
This is all without going into swiping sounds, the level at which the brush is pressed against the head, the Z-axis angle at which the brush is twisted - how many wires are touching the head and how far they are dispersed, and so on, and so on.
I really wonder if we will see a decent brush support in software during our lifetimes. It is theoretically possible, of course, but there is just too many variables.
cick005

Postby Holehouse » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:56 pm

Brushes for Modo would be amazing. There are lots of artists not just in the Jazz world who create great and subtle drum parts using brush kits. James Taylor, Ryan Adams, Lyle Lovett, Norah Jones, Lady Gaga and lots more. I sure you get my point. One day soon please?
Holehouse

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS