Official MODO DRUM Wish List!

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

Re: Official MODO DRUM Wish List!

Postby Haruspex02 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:43 pm

After some more trial & error:

1. Add a Guitar Pro Mapping Preset. Or allow Users to upload & share their Mapping Presets for Keyboards, Software, etc.

2. Allow multiple keys to hit the same midi sound.

3. Add a "follow Bandmate" option like EzDrummer, Garage Band, Logic and several others offer. This would be highly needed for Modo Drums

4. Ghost notes are a pain in the ass. Add either keyswitches, aftertouch or cc for ghost notes. Would make life and Modo Drum much easier.

5. It would be great, if you could add some odd grooves in 7/8, 13/8, 5/4. Or allow users to add their own grooves and time signatures.

6. The cymbals in Modo Drum don't sound realistic although everything else sounds really good. Add sample based cymbal libraries to Modo Drum. So everything will sound realistic.

7. Micing the kits and customizing the mic positions is highly needed.

8. Also it would be really great, if you could add a TR-808 or TR-909. Roland already offers plugins but those are really bad and too expensive for what they offer. Even some freeware is better than the Roland ones. Maybe you could offer it as an additional sound, like the Brit Custom or Metal kits.

9. Percussions would be great as well. Bongos, Congas, Cajon, Maracas or even an indian Tabla would be highly welcomed. Or maybe a release of Modo Percussions? This would be a huge help.
Haruspex02

Postby supanorton » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:56 pm

Love the program. I'd really like to see integration with IK's new reverb plugins (Sunset, FAME, Stone). I've tried it by adding a bus, but it doesn't work with the room and overheads. As has been mentioned, I'd also love to see new IK grooves and the ability to load 3rd party grooves. Auditioning the 3rd party stuff is a real PIA.
supanorton

Postby LoveIproductions » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:33 am

It would be nice to have more percussion instruments like timbales, congo's, bongos etc.
LoveIproductions

Postby Particle1 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:25 am

Hopefully the next version of MODO DRUM will have it's own preset sharing capability. Drumnet or some such. Or is there a place to do this currently?

And please add a second snare!

Thanks
Particle1

Postby Particle1 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:29 pm

Another one to add would be the ability to hit a note and have it randomize from a selection of other notes. I use a (basic) E-kit and there are only so many pads so it would be nice to hit say the snare and have it ninety nine times out of one hundred sound the center of the snare but that one time hit the rim to give it a bit of a random touch. So to have it choose from a preselected batch of notes each based on a percentage would be a nice feature.
Particle1

Postby Yankobiah5 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:21 pm

For MODO DRUM:

- Triangles
- Velocity control for individual elements
- Physically modeled hats/rides
- Brushes and mallets
Yankobiah5

Postby rj.gray » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:45 am

NKS 2.0 support would be great. Presets, tags, light guides, etc.
rj.gray

Postby jsemczuk » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:13 pm

I would say for me...

1) better room sounds. the room sound is probably the number one thing a drum modeling program needs to do well in order to get great sounds. Much of the drum sound for rock and older genres comes from the ability to to use the OH and rooms as the foundation of the sound. The OH and Room sounds currently just tend to not sound up to professional quality and there's a lot of difficulty getting them to sit in a mix, unless I'm working on something heavily stylized. In general the modeling of modo within a real space gives the drums a tinny somewhat hollow quality that I find difficult to mix with. I usually have to send all the drums to some sort of other plugin like Tverb, UA Sound City, or Cinematic rooms within my DAW to get a more workable room sound. But still whatever the room simulation within the OH and individual drums themselves is still a bit strange. Slightly tinny, and it has a way of making the transients not as sharp or impactful. Even with a custom room sound in the DAW it's hard to get rid of that tinny quality. The mixes that sound the best tend to best so far with modo tend to be ones where the style calls for dry with very little room or OH sound. Similar to what Dance Tech does here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiLuDyvSjho. Also the ability to add pre-delay to the room sound would be ideal.

2) More accurate OH modeling sounds. I have noticed that many of the OH sounds for the drums add in a lot of extra boxyness and cardboardyness to the kick and snare (even with EQ trying to take it out) that wouldn't necessarily really be there in a real recording. An example is this video, you can hear that the OH mics don't have an extreme boxyness to them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ccgv4jaiE. In modo, the OH almost never has a bass to it, when real OH recordings can... and It can be very strange sometimes with Modo where the kick itself won't be boxy, the room sound won't be boxy, but the overhead will be extremely boxy and carboardy and it sounds like it's a completely different kick. The snare at times can have this quality as well. It makes it limiting if you try to go for a lot of rock or older sounds where the OH was very prominent.

3) more tight dampened kick sounds. Currently it's difficult to get a sound like say Michael Jackson's Billie Jean, TLC's Waterfalls, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WEtxJ4-sh4 and therefore many funk or hip hop type sounds. In these the kick is heavily dampened and tight and low. This would really open up Modo to be used more in hip hop and electronic music more easily. I feel like this is one of the most underserved sounds in all of the drum libraries out there and could open up a lot of potential. Especially since traditionally you can usually only find high quality versions of these sounds via samples or sampling the original songs they came from, and there isn't a lot of room for customization. But even more ability to do this for rock sounds would open it up a bit more. Think, AC / DC's Highway to Hell.

4) more ability to get "tea towel" dampening on snares and other drums. With the current dampening settings in modo, it still doesn't really give you this effect and this is an extremely common and sought after sound.

5) ability to change the actual pitch of the drums. The tuning capability does currently seem to mimic the actual tuning of head, which may not necessarily change the overall pitch that much. Ability to change the pitch up or down specifically would make it sit in mixes much better, as you would be able to tune the kick to the key of the song.

6) Ability to have mic placement in a room similar to Pianoteq. Another big aspect to getting a great sound is the ability to customize the mic positioning to a song. Examples can be found on this playlist from reverb where they try to recreate specific song and album sounds, where the specific positioning of the OH or room mics is quintessential to getting the sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lJ-l7F ... V&index=13
jsemczuk

Postby ejagnes » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:21 pm

Cymbal stacks.
ejagnes

Previous

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS