MODO Drum - Mono Tracks in Mixer

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

MODO Drum - Mono Tracks in Mixer

Postby tonyshaffer2018@gmail.com » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:49 pm

How do I switch from the default stereo mixer tracks to mono tracks (the way they appear in the videos and in the manual)?
tonyshaffer2018@gmail.com

Re: MODO Drum - Mono Tracks in Mixer

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:27 pm

At this time there is no way to change that, it will not affect the sound of MODO DRUM and is set up similarly to other drum VSTi. I've passed this request/information to the team, though.

Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby tonyshaffer2018@gmail.com » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:52 pm

Peter, thanks for the prompt reply.

I'll be able to get some fine sounds from MODO in stereo. I'm just used to running separate mono tracks for drums in my mixing: one drum, one mic. And even with an OH pair, I run two mono tracks rather than one stereo track; if I use kick in/out mics or snare top/bottom, I'll use mono tracks for easier blending while mixing. And, of course, this kind of setup works well when I use automation. So, I set up my VSTs in the same way for consistency.

Thanks again for your prompt response and for passing along my thoughts to your team.
T.
tonyshaffer2018@gmail.com

Postby puranon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:52 am

tonyshaffer2018@gmail.com wrote:How do I switch from the default stereo mixer tracks to mono tracks (the way they appear in the videos and in the manual)?

all the close mic channels are Stereo? What about VSTInstrument Multichannel?
puranon

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:28 pm

puranon wrote:
tonyshaffer2018@gmail.com wrote:How do I switch from the default stereo mixer tracks to mono tracks (the way they appear in the videos and in the manual)?

all the close mic channels are Stereo? What about VSTInstrument Multichannel?

They aren't mics, MODO DRUM is the modeled drums on each track (though OH and room are mics). The tracks in the Mixer section are stereo tracks, as they are in other drum VSTi like SD and similar. This should cause no issue either in standalone or in your DAW, again functioning like multiple other drum VSTi.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby puranon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Close mic should always be mono channels. Overheads and Room Mics are Stereo pairs.
puranon

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 pm

puranon wrote:Close mic should always be mono channels. Overheads and Room Mics are Stereo pairs.

Again, these are not mic'd drums, these are physical models of the actual drums. Also, please also let Toontrack and others know this. The stereo tracks in the mixer section will have no audible effect on the the sound of the kit.

An example of those unaffected who feel it is amazing while using in a DAW (actually used the following terms: mindblowing, genius, insane, staggeringly good, outrageous, bloody amazing, just ridiculous, IK Multimedia has done it again) is in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPWcn8rzEUw

Also, yes I'm aware that many believe what you state is set in stone, but note I'm also speaking from experience having a degree in audio engineering from a top music school and have been around the block (including the transitionary period during my education where computers were starting to be used in production and through my trajectory in the industry with some obvious focus on the in-the-box aspects of audio engineering) in the quarter century since :) I can say with authority that this will have absolutely no negative audible effect on the drum sounds in MODO DRUM.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:54 pm

But we have relayed this request to the developers and project manager to vary from what most drum VSTi do and hopefully comfort those that prefer this mostly cosmetic change.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS