MODO BASS for BASS guitar

Discussions about MODO DRUM physically modeled drums and MODO BASS - the first physically modeled electric bass virtual instrument

MODO BASS for BASS guitar

Postby BMAN123 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:32 am

Anybody else interested in having this software available for BASS guitar instead of just MIDI/Keyboard only or having to attempt using a converter? Open a ticket with support and plead your case.

Think of the possibilities of using this software in live performances and in the studio using a BASS guitar!!!
BMAN123

Re: MODO BASS for BASS guitar

Postby BMAN123 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:22 pm

I am hoping to hear some good feedback. This product would be great for the live Bass (guitar) player.
BMAN123

Postby shmihe » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:40 pm

I use MODO Bass with guitar, Jam Origin's Midi Guitar 2. They have a bass version as well.

It tracks very accurately and quick enough to deal with (Zoom UAC-2 here).

I still have not figured out how to do bends and slides using the guitar as a controller, though my bass playing doesn't usually require that either.

I hope IK will consider more provisions and enhancements for use with midi guitar.
shmihe

Postby BMAN123 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:03 pm

Thank you for sharing shmihe. I will definitely look into this. I have just begun this midi journey for my analog Bass and I am very driven to make this happen.
BMAN123

Postby cabooter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:58 am

Hi, I am currently trying the version of MODO BASS with my Fishman Triple Play midi guitar pickup.
But although it sounds great I cannot play it the natural way because I cannot make the pitchbend do the right thing. You need this for making a true sounding vibrato on a string.
Normally you have to adjust the pitchbendings from 2 untill 12 ( in every other software sounds), but doing makes it not SLIDE the notes.
I have a couple of other BASS vst sounds which are not a problem at all.
In fact : Triple PLay comes stock with IK-Sample Tank 2Triple and it also has Basssounds which do the job perfectly. You can play these like a real bassguitar, eveyr slide or bending sounds very natural.

With the MODO BASS that is not possible so far. I don't think I overlooked something here.
Come on, it's 2017, midi guitar should just be as playable as a midi keyboard.
cabooter

Postby BMAN123 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Thank you for sharing cabooter. The Fishman Triple Play looks very interesting. I may end up taking the plunge on something like this http://www.industrialradio.com.au/
but the jury is still out on this type of investment.
BMAN123

Postby cabooter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:06 pm

Look s good too. But I do not like the idea of buying a whole new guitar/bass just for the midi option. I rather stick the TriplePlay on my own favourite axe.
By the way I am a guitarplayer, not bassplayer, and I have physical problems with my fingers so I cannot play a bass guitar with wider frets. So I record my bassparts on a guitar with the Triple PLay, works just great for me, very authentic.
I bought a cheap Epiphone LesPaul and mounted the Triple PLay on that one.
But I can easily stick it on my Strat too, it does the bendings with the tremolo arm just perfectly. And eveything wireless!!...that's the beauty
So f.i. you can play saxophone( totgether woth TEC breathcontroller) or strings with the Triple PLay very naturel.
For Bass I use the Sampletank 3(also IK multimedia offcourse, and here the bendings sound perfect) or the Kontakt Elements Basssound that comes with the TP.

So I won't buy MODO BASS if it does not correctly play vibrato notes on a midi guitar, that's so unnatural.
cabooter

Postby BMAN123 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Gitcha cabooter. Thank you for sharing those specific details. Given the SAMPLETANK seems more dynamic, I may need to reconsider. I mainly was attracted to all of the different bass models MODO BASS offers, but you're right given it appears to be more rigid on translation of what is being thrown at it. Additionally I completely understand why you chose the Triple Play on your favorite axe. The IR bass is made by WARMOTH and I have owned a WARMOTH 4-string for years even though my main instrument is a G&L 5-string. I would be interested in hearing an example of an intricate bass line you created with the Triple Play and SAMPLETANK.
Keep doing that voodoo that you do!
BMAN123

Postby cabooter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:09 pm

I will PM you an example.
cabooter

Postby pratiketc » Fri May 01, 2020 12:49 pm

I am also using jam origin Midi Bass as a controller for Modo Bass. So the set up goes something like this
Actual Bass Guitar => Jam Origin => Modo Bass.
However I find that not all frets of the Actual Bass Guitar play through Modo Bass. Only a subset of all frets play. Anyone faced that issue? In an ideal world I'll like to play a real bass guitar through modo bass w/o using a midi keyboard...

Any inputs welcome

Pratik
pratiketc

Return to MODO DRUM & MODO BASS