Idea For an Online Teaching Rig - Will It Fly?

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of Android music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Idea For an Online Teaching Rig - Will It Fly?

Postby Ryan_onlineteacher » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi iRigers,

I'm starting to teach language online and am investigating my options for external microphones. I'll be teaching through my Samsung S6, which has a terrible built-in mic (in it's current condition) Alternatives I've considered include a lapel mic (to be plugged into an aux splitter along with earphones) or a simple mic built into earphones, but I prefer to have a unidirectional mic I can control the gain on to minimise background noises.

Here's my idea. Use a Shure SM58 mic with along with standard earphones, plugged into an iRig UA, which plugs into my phone. The Shure mic would plug into the iRig using an XLR-AUX cable. I'd be able to control the sensitivity of the mic with the iRig (although I think the UA model doesn't allow the sensitivity to be controlled on the hardware, so I think I'd need a Stomp for that)

Essentially, the idea is to use the iRig as a preamp for the microphone, and as an aux splitter to connect both a microphone and pair of earphones to my smartphone. Besides the question of whether it will work hardware-wise, there's also the question of whether the online teaching application will function with the rig as intended, and I don't know what issues could arise there.

It's a pie in the sky idea. I'd appreciate thoughts from anyone with relevant knowledge.

Ryan
Ryan_onlineteacher

Re: Idea For an Online Teaching Rig - Will It Fly?

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:40 pm

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for your post.

While we did see your FaceBook message and replied back. It looks like there is a bit more information here.

Now, from what you are saying, it sounds like you may want to look into the iRig PRE device. This will allow you to connect your microphone directly to Android. Check out this unit at the link below.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigpre/

You did mention being unsure if the teaching app you use accepts input from external sources. If TRRS or devices connected via the headphone port on your Android are not accepted. Check to see if the teaching app you are using allows digital audio input. If this is the case, we suggest checking into the iRig PRE HD. This product will work similarly to the above iRig PRE, but provide a much clearer signal with it's digital connection.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigprehd/

Hope this helps!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Ryan_onlineteacher » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Ryan_onlineteacher

Postby Degutis » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:43 am

Hi iRigers,

I'm starting to teach language online and am investigating my options for external microphones. I'll be teaching through my Samsung S6, which has a terrible built-in mic (in it's current condition) Alternatives I've considered include a lapel mic (to be plugged into an aux splitter along with earphones) or a simple mic built into earphones, but I prefer to have a unidirectional mic I can control the gain on to minimise background noises.

Here's my idea. Use a Shure SM58 mic with along with standard earphones, plugged into an iRig UA, which plugs into my phone. The Shure mic would plug into the iRig using an XLR-AUX cable. I'd be able to control the sensitivity of the mic with the iRig (although I think the UA model doesn't allow the sensitivity to be controlled on the hardware, so I think I'd need a Stomp for that)

Essentially, the idea is to use the iRig as a preamp for the microphone, and as an aux splitter to connect both a microphone and pair of earphones to my smartphone. Besides the question of whether it will work hardware-wise, there's also the question of whether the online teaching solution will function with the rig as intended, and I don't know what issues could arise there.

It's a pie in the sky idea. I'd appreciate thoughts from anyone with relevant knowledge.

Ryan

Hello Ryan,

Glad to meet someone who also starts something exciting for online teaching purposes. Wondering about the outcome of your idea.
I was thinking about an app which can be based on the Arduino (idea for a laptop). It should inform the user if s/he pronounces the word the wrong way (for instance, with a sound signal or color change). But that will be possible only with Arduino connected.
Degutis

Return to Android Apps & Accessories