Has anyone got iRig 2, Amplitube and Samsung Note 3 working?

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of Android music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Has anyone got iRig 2, Amplitube and Samsung Note 3 working?

Postby mattsplatt » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:46 am

I got an iRig 2, tested it on my wife's Samsung S5 to check the concept (worked great), then gave it to my son for his birthday. My son has a Samsung Note 3.

In most of the info about iRig / Amplitube / Samsung Pro Audio (SAPA) it has said that SAPA works on the S5 and Note 3 as long as they are running Android 5.0. Both of the devices I tested are on Android 5.0.

My wife's S5 works great. My son's Note 3 doesn't work. I've been scouring the internet for info and have found some other references to SAPA mentioning that it doesn't work on the Note 3.

Please report in if you have got this combination (iRig 2, Amplitube for SAPA, and Samsung Note 3) to work, and if so, how you did it.

Please also report in if you can add any info to this. Samsung just doesn't seem to have much to say about SAPA compatibility anywhere online that I can find.

Thank you in advance,
Matt
mattsplatt

Re: Has anyone got iRig 2, Amplitube and Samsung Note 3 work

Postby mattsplatt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:59 pm

I'll respond to this myself, since I finally got a firm answer on compatibility after a long search.

I tried to install Soundcamp on the Note 3, hoping that would force the SaPA system to come to life. But Soundcamp was blocked/unsupported in the Play store and the Galaxy store. I saw an email address for the Soundcamp dev team (they are a Samsung team), so I emailed to ask their advice. Here's part of the response:

"Soundcamp is not compatible with Galaxy Note 3. Because SAPA framework is not correctly installed for Galaxy Note 3 and the device firmware was not optimized for the operation of SAPA, Soundcamp can not be work normally on Note 3 and, as the same reason, the operation of Amplitube is also not stable.
We are sorry that Soundcamp can not be supported officially for Galaxy Note 3 due to the lack of optimization in device firmware.
"

So there you go. I hope this saves someone else from chasing their own tail for two weeks. :D
mattsplatt

Postby jbossio » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:37 am

AmpliTube for Samsung Pro Audio will not work on my Note 3 when paired with the iRig2. When the guitar is connected to the phone via the iRig, a Professional Audio notification appears at the top of the screen. Opening this notification will allow access to the Pro Audio settings menu. When the menu is accessed, the dry signal from the guitar can be heard; exiting said menu kills the sound.
jbossio

Postby mattsplatt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:31 am

Hi Jbossio,

Yes, the behaviour of the system when I was testing was exactly as you describe, and I never got it to work beyond that. My second post in this thread is what I eventually found out.

I returned the iRig 2 and got an iRig UA, which works like a charm on the Samsung Note 3 as well as my Lenovo Tab 3.

(The iRig UA has the limitation that it is only useful with Amplitube, and cannot be used as a guitar interface for other software, at least, that's my understanding).
mattsplatt

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:17 pm

jbossio wrote:AmpliTube for Samsung Pro Audio will not work on my Note 3 when paired with the iRig2. When the guitar is connected to the phone via the iRig, a Professional Audio notification appears at the top of the screen. Opening this notification will allow access to the Pro Audio settings menu. When the menu is accessed, the dry signal from the guitar can be heard; exiting said menu kills the sound.

Please contact IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support if you have not done so already. They can assist further.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby jbossio » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:48 pm

The converters shouldn't interfere with the ability of the connected device to charge, have high signal to noise and have standard in/out connections for instrument/amps/headphones.

The applications should be equivalent, both in function, support and availability for android and iOS.

Great products otherwise.
jbossio

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:52 pm

jbossio wrote:The converters shouldn't interfere with the ability of the connected device to charge, have high signal to noise and have standard in/out connections for instrument/amps/headphones.

The applications should be equivalent, both in function, support and availability for android and iOS.

Great products otherwise.

You shouldn't have issues with noise, and passthrough charging has a lot of other issues that make it difficult to implement across the board. iRig Pro I/O does this on iOS devices and complies with Apple's MFi program. There are other challenges for Android devices, and we must comply with all regulations so passing audio and charging may not be possible in these cases.

For the applications to be equivalent, the platforms would need to be equivalent and unfortunately Android is years behind iOS for audio processing.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Android Apps & Accessories