Pro Duo and Samsung Tab A Android Compatability

Join the Mobile Music Revolution — IK Multimedia gives you the most complete range of Android music accessories and apps. Discuss them all here.

Pro Duo and Samsung Tab A Android Compatability

Postby ChrisInIndy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:55 am

I am trying to get a definitive answer on using my new Pro Duo with my Samsung Tab A. With the supplied OTG cable I do not get any power to the Pro Duo, no lights, no input, nor does an app such as iRig Recorder 3 see the attached interface. The batteries checkout good (tried several good pairs), and the Pro Duo does work as an interface on the PC. So it's a working unit, but no luck on my Tab A.

The Tab A was also recently upgraded to Android 7.0, and I had tried the Pro Duo both before and after with no success.

So does anyone know about this particular Android device for sure? What else might I need to do? And if I do get it to work, what apps are actually going to see it? I would ideally like to livestream, and have the Pro Duo take over the device's audio system, but maybe I'm dreaming on that one. Anyway, I'm looking for answers. I'm not really getting anything much back from support, or from my dealer support, although they have tested these on other types of Androids.
ChrisInIndy

Re: Pro Duo and Samsung Tab A Android Compatability

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:29 pm

It sounds like you have a support ticket open. They would be the most knowledgeable about this and I would suggest you continue to tell them that suggestions are not working.

Also please note the following guidelines about posting here when you are also working with IK Support viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19505
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Re: Pro Duo and Samsung Tab A Android Compatability

Postby ChrisInIndy » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks Peter. I no longer have an open ticket. I had created a previous ticket about the aspect of the Pro Duo not powering up with batteries, but did not get into specifics about the Tab A. Unfortunately I do not have the text from my initial submission, so the entire context may not be in reference here, but in the reply I did receive this information from support:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"We have been informed by many users that Samsung has removed SAPA (Samsung Pro Audio) support for the Samsung Galaxy S9+ when running the latest version of Android (Pie).

This unfortunately, is not under IK Multimedia control.

Please feel free to use the iRig Pro Duo with any apps which allow for headset or digital audio input. For example, the Audio Evolution DAW, ToneBridge, Deplike iRig Recorder 3 LE, or n-Track DAW apps. These apps can be found on the Google Play store."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While that was perhaps informative, it was not sufficient to answer the question of whether or not the Pro Duo will work with a Tab A. I'm not sure if it even applies 100% to my tablet, or even what it all means, as I had never heard of SAPA before. What I do take from it, and a little other research, is that Android compatibility is not universal, and more than one protocol and standard exist, so it's complicated.

Therefore I am asking here in the community if anyone has experience with these two components and has seen them working together, or could shed some light on the situation. This has been too difficult to get a definitive answer on, and sometimes the user community is aware of something that a support department may not be aware of. After all, it's not possible to test every possible combination, so user experience is sometimes helpful. If support would want to escalate this and navigate all the complexities, which I don't expect them to, I'm not thinking I can pursue it any further with them.
ChrisInIndy

Return to Android Apps & Accessories