Without You

A friendly place to share your music and collaborate with other IK users. Show off your hard work here!

Without You

Postby danwilson5 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:12 am

Hi All,

Just finished mixing a new song my brother Kelly wrote called "Without You". It features the amazing talents of Tiffany Chen on vocals and piano. Honestly, she made the song so much better than the rough demo we had. It was inspiring to watch her work, she has a Master's degree in Choral Conducting and it was evident by how easily she worked out things on the fly. I think I am beginning to understand how people sing harmony. If you need a piano player or singer I would strongly recommend you get in touch with her (search sound cloud)

From a mixing stand point I think I am beginning to get a feel for the Comprexxor plugin. The other plugins I used for this mix are the usual Black 76, White 2A, Opto Comp (finally used it) and Amplitube 5.

Any suggestions on improving the mix (not my singing...that I already know :D ) would be appreciated.

Dan

https://soundcloud.com/dan-e-wilson/wit ... al_sharing
danwilson5

Re: Without You

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:49 pm

Hi Dan,

A wonderful, touching song…very fitting as a first-dance song, indeed! Super collab with Tiffany, both her vox and tasteful piano… really adds to the track. Execution of vox and instruments great and the mix is glued nicely. :D

The only things I might suggest would be add some “air” to the mix and consider enhancing the kick & bass gtr as that part seems a bit light, at least to me (and would help lock in the beat for those dancers on the floor). :lol:

Really excellent job and you three should be proud of the result! Hope Kelly has some other tunes that Tiffany could contribute to in the near future. BTW - is she local to you and Kelly or did the collab happen more virtually? :?:

Take care & thanks for sharing!
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby danwilson5 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:48 am

Hi Micheal,

Thank you for the kind words. I will pass them on to Tiffany. She is local.

As always thank you for the advice. Since it is consistent over the course of the last couple of songs, I take away that the problem is my room. Really I know it is my ability to mix. I need to look into the acoustics of my room. I have used arc 2 before and I own arc 3 but waiting until it is Apple Si ready. In the mean time I am going to look into more room treatment.

Dan
danwilson5

Postby Riff_Lovely » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:55 pm

Greeting Dan and squad. Realy nice collab.I enjoy in song . Super piano parts. Maybe someone from the forum will use it for the first dance
Keep on rockin
Riff_Lovely

Postby liamhellen55 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:16 am

danwilson5 wrote:Hi All,

Just finished mixing a new song my brother Kelly wrote called "Without You". It features the amazing talents of Tiffany Chen on vocals and piano. Honestly, she made the song so much better than the rough demo we had. It was inspiring to watch her work, she has a Master's degree in Choral Conducting and it was evident by how easily she worked out things on the fly. I think I am beginning to understand how people sing harmony. If you need a piano player or singer I would strongly recommend you get in touch with her (search sound cloud)

From a mixing stand point I think I am beginning to get a feel for the Comprexxor plugin. The other plugins I used for this mix are the usual Black 76, White 2A, Opto Comp (finally used it) and Amplitube 5.

Any suggestions on improving the mix (not my singing...that I already know :D ) would be appreciated.

Dan

https://soundcloud.com/dan-e-wilson/wit ... al_sharing play wordle

So great, very good, thank you
liamhellen55

Return to The Jam Session