Hail Mary - 2023 Cottage Session #1

A friendly place to share your music and collaborate with other IK users. Show off your hard work here!

Hail Mary - 2023 Cottage Session #1

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Mon May 22, 2023 10:27 pm

Hi all,

Last weekend was the first of the cottage sessions for this year. Worked on 3 tracks, 1 of mine and a couple of Paul’s. This one is mine and Paul helped me out by adding in some tasty fretless bass on it. The song was originally written on guitar but I changed it over to piano.

It’s been a while working on anything new…felt pretty good and the cottage vibe is always inspiring.

Anyhow, the usual IK suspects for instruments and other effects & hope you enjoy the ride.

Paul and I are now working on his two tracks post so I’ll share them once Paul feels they’re ready.

Take care!
Michael

mklankin@hotmail.com

Re: Hail Mary - 2023 Cottage Session #1

Postby CrazySchmidt » Tue May 23, 2023 8:20 am

Hey Michael, how ya doing buddy?

Nice track man and I know I always say this, but it's so nicely produced, a deep, rich clarity that I am envious of every time I hear any of your stuff.

I love the way you compose challenging vocal parts man, I mean schit, that vocal part takes a lot of feel and expression and you've put your whole self into that, I can hear it with every sentence, very cool dude, nice work!!

Glad to to see you and Paul are knocking them out at the cottage, I wish I had one of those. :lol:

I hope you and your family are well my friend, take care.

Cheers, CS. :)
Please support Gondo Strauss at:
https://soundcloud.com/gondo-strauss/
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby Riff_Lovely » Sat May 27, 2023 1:43 pm

Hi Michael! Great stuf,another nice song from cotage,i real like the solo guitar ,you play it so nice. Who play key s You or Paul?
Cheers guys
I change my Nick, cause it is been half of my mail by default.
Riff Lovely ex Zuga1974 :)
Riff_Lovely

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Sat May 27, 2023 3:46 pm

Hey CS,

Always a treat to hear from you. I’m doing alright as is fam…thanks for asking and I hope you and yours are doing the same or better!

Yeah, pretty happy with that weekend’s output at the cottage and will try to get one of Paul’s up here sooner than later.

Thanks for the positive feedback on this one….even the vox - as you know, not my fav. :lol:

A new song idea came about just ahead of this cottage session that I’m excited about but it wasn’t a focus this time. I’ve got a real sense you would crush it like “One of These Days” so, once I get a listenable demo, I’ll pass it along and see what you think, K?

Just want to relay a heartfelt thanks for listening in and contributing to my music journey over the last couple years. Really appreciated. :D

I look forward to anything you got coming up as well.

Take care, eh!
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Sat May 27, 2023 3:57 pm

Hi Riff, l like the new handle.

Thanks for the listen and feedback including the guitar solo. Got a couple nice sounds from TONEX/AT5 and, of course, tone helps with ideas & performance. The second half of the lead used the sweet “Gary Moore” preset and just seemed to fit that part.

Anyhow, I “played” the keys. My sister was the piano player in the house as a kid but I’d always be dinking around on it making sound shapes and sometimes ideas would sprout up. In this case, the song was written on guitar but the vibe changed nicely when transitioned to piano (certainly not better than guitar, just different :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ). I always joke my keyboard playing skills & feel are that of Frankenstein’s monster playing with hockey gloves on - certainly wish I could do more with that instrument but guitar is enough of a challenge for now so I do what I can with keys when called upon.

Hope you’re doing great and thanks for the feedback and question. 8-)

Take care,
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby CrazySchmidt » Sun May 28, 2023 4:40 am

mklankin@hotmail.com wrote:A new song idea came about just ahead of this cottage session that I’m excited about but it wasn’t a focus this time. I’ve got a real sense you would crush it like “One of These Days” so, once I get a listenable demo, I’ll pass it along and see what you think, K?
Michael

Yeah man, I'd love to take a listen, of course. 8-) :D

CS. :)
Please support Gondo Strauss at:
https://soundcloud.com/gondo-strauss/
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby veno_mk._1 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:52 am

Hey Michael!

Man I freaking love songs that have a good piano in them. You did a great job with writing the piano parts. Sonically it made the song more impactful emotionally to me.

Vocals fits the song pretty well! Well expressed and can still hit hard when they need to. Great work on that.

The guitar solos also rip dude. Simple, Effective leads that melodically are memorable.

I'm glad you enjoyed working on this song. It really shows!

Cheers bro!

--Steve
"Dancing is forbidden." -Master Shake
veno_mk._1

Postby Boogie Pete » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:27 am

Hi Michael.

Fantastic!

Is Steven Wilson/Porcupine tree one of your influences?

I really like this, loads of power and light and shade. Well done with the vocal which I'd guess was pretty challenging. I think the piano/keys on this track are outstanding along with the guitar parts which fit perfectly both tonally and musically. Very well recorded and produced also.

Cheers,

Pete.
Boogie Pete

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:58 pm

Thanks so much, Steve.

I think songs that are written on piano or lean heavily on it in production are a different breed altogether. Glad you enjoyed this one.

If you’re interested in previous tracks I’ve put up on the forum that have some significant piano, check out “Breathe, Sinister Sister” (currently on page 2) and “Succumb” (currently on page 6).

Thanks for the feedback….it’s nice to receive. :D
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:39 pm

Hey Pete,

Thanks for the feedback and very happy you enjoyed this one. :D :D

Not gonna lie, I’d admit that my musical lineage has been UK-influenced significantly over the years, absolutely. For writing this type of song/music, there’s the usual suspects of Pink Floyd and for me, early Supertramp and especially quite a number of years following Marillion. Regarding Steven and PT, it was my friend Paul (who I collaborate with) that introduced me to PT over 10 yrs ago and, understandably, I was blown away by. I saw Steven in concert in Dec/2018 which was a very awesome yet humbling experience….he’s such a phenom. If you get any hint of Steven from “Hail Mary”, I’m taking that as a major win, so thanks! 8-)

Other of my songs on this forum that I think you might enjoy as, I’d contend, have some UK-prog sensibilities to them would be:
“Strange Alliance” as well as “Foray” (currently on page 3)
but especially “Succumb” (currently on page 6) I think would be in the realm of Steven/PT (and likely a bit of Marillion too).

Outside of this musical vein, well, whether trying to draw on my best vocal impression of Richard Butler from The Psychedelic Furs in “Don’t Suppose” or peppering in vox harmonies on “Spacewalker” a la New Model Army….hard to deny UK-influences abound.

Anyhow, I’ve digressed enough…thanks so much for the feedback!
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby sbn » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:04 pm

Such a great solo and track mood is great.
sbn

Postby danwilson5 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:45 am

Hi Michael,

Nice track man. I agree with CS your vocal brings so much emotion to the table. The guitar solo was spot on.

Viva the "Cottage Sessions"

Dan
danwilson5

Return to The Jam Session