WhatEvR - my FIRST VID (Satch homage)!

A friendly place to share your music and collaborate with other IK users. Show off your hard work here!

WhatEvR - my FIRST VID (Satch homage)!

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:04 am

Hi all!

This will be a longer description than my usual….ugh, I know.

Song:
This track was written and recorded within a week of the release of the Joe Satriani collection by IK back in summer/20. His collection was so inspirational the song idea came together very quickly. I’ve listened to and appreciated Satch since his first album was released and this song is certainly an attempt to pay tribute to that; however, being a Tom Scholz/early Boston fan as well there may be a touch of that too. Shortly after the song was made I had the idea of trying to use it as a excuse for making a video (more details on that below) but after the original JS collection’s release there was AT5 and then further presets from Joe so there was cause for further exploring/tweaking guitar sounds and, consequently, delay.

Had to use my Ibanez guitars (of course):
1986 Pro Line PL2550
2016 Prestige RG652FX

IK stuff:
AT5 - guitars all drawing from Joe Satriani collection
Philharmonik 2 - violins, viola, cello, bass
MODO Drum - Studio kit
TR5 - White 2A, Sunset Sound, Tape m/c 24, Stealth Limiter
Lurssen Console

Video:
I’ve been inspired since the pandemic by other IK forum contributors that post vids (dbailey1, TomoRG, valentinbk, Phil Guitar, sbn, Darth_dB, AndreasJBlack)….who doesn’t like vid’s, right?!? So, here’s my first attempt at making a guitar-oriented vid for an original song after finally sucking up the courage to delve into a whole other realm (video….not like audio!). Just shot in HD so nothing fancy here. Also, had to relearn the song to shoot the vid & is a pretty close approximation to how it was recorded I think, but that stopped at the two-hand tapping bit!

I hope you find both the track & the video entertaining and, as always, appreciate feedback.

I would like to do more videos so lemme know if there’s an earlier song of mine you think might be good candidate.

If you’d just prefer a SoundCloud version of the song, here it is:

Thanks so much and hope all are doing great so far in 2022!
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Re: WhatEvR - my FIRST VID (Satch homage)!

Postby danwilson5 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:16 am

Hi Michael,

You wrote a nice tribute to JS and I am glad you posted the video. I liked the walking outside on the winter day playing guitar and the bass player in a flannel shirt. I don't know where you live but it was very Canadian.

How hard did you push the Lurssen Console?

Waiting for the next video Bro. Two Thumbs Up.

Dan
danwilson5

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:30 pm

Hey Dan, thanks for the thumbs up and really glad you enjoyed.

Yeah, I’m in Ontario and had to wait to shoot the outdoor scene until it was closer to 0 C vs -20 C like it had been…for the sake of the guitar. :o

Already contemplating my next vid so I’ll post once I have something decent to share.

As far as Lurssen, it was pushed moderately while trying to maintain some dynamics and avoiding “crispiness”. Hope the mix was good!?! I now know that there’s a difference in the audio once put up on Youtube so next time I’m gonna need to adjust for that.

BTW - I’ve started to explore the Comprexxor and kinda like it! :D

Thanks for the support! 8-)
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby CrazySchmidt » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:45 am

Jesus Michael, I've only just realized this was you dude!!

I skipped over this a couple of times because I assumed Satriani, Blah Blah what ever...

Schit, this is excellent work brother, this is a really outstanding way to enter the video world, holy crap, have you been practicing? I love it and am envious, so cool!!

Well, this reinforces my belief that you are most definitely the most eclectic musician I have had the pleasure of working with.

Love the Kiwi T BTW 8-)

So cool!!

CS. :)
Please support Gondo Strauss at:
https://soundcloud.com/gondo-strauss/
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:00 am

Hey CS, thanks for the kind words and ongoing support, man, very much appreciated. :D

I can only work with what comes out of my head that my hands can craft but am gratified you enjoy the variety in that. :)

Thought you’d pick up on and dig the Kiwi T. Torn between that one or my All Blacks that I picked up in 2015 while there…..thot maybe All Blacks was too over-the-top. :lol:

Thanks for the feedback, as always!

Cheers,
Michael
8-)
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby CrazySchmidt » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:03 am

mklankin@hotmail.com wrote:I can only work with what comes out of my head that my hands can craft but am gratified you enjoy the variety in that. :)

FUK yeah dude!! That's real in my world!!!

CS. 8-)
Please support Gondo Strauss at:
https://soundcloud.com/gondo-strauss/
"Old never gets Old"
CrazySchmidt

Return to The Jam Session