AXE I/O Now Available

Breaking news, announcements, promotions and general important information from IK Multimedia

Re: AXE I/O Now Available

Postby carlaz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:47 pm

allan.bourque wrote:Z-Tone does seem make a difference. To the left it opens the sound up and it just feels like you can dig in a little more and get a more response out of the strings. To the right and it is much more muted and less dynamic. The Pure/JFET switch didn't appear to make much difference, but to be fair I haven't played with it much yet.

The Z-Tone and Pure/JFET controls are the parts I least understand, so far. I mean, yes: I know about how impedance works, and I know about JFET preamp/input stages on physical amps ... but I don't quite understand the rationale behind the controls on the AXE I/O.

Well, OK ... I presume the Z-Tone is there since many physical amps have high impedance inputs, and you you might want to "crank that up" to get you closer to the behavior of a real amp -- but how would you know where to crank it for, say, "maximum authenticity"? Or is it just a question of "this will change the tone, and set it where you like it"?

With that in mind, the Pure/JFET control seems essentially to be giving you the option of putting an extra stage of dialable saturation in front of Amplitube's gear emulations (or whatever the AXE is feeding). And, yes, that is an extra tone option ... but why?

I'm sure that there are practical reasons for these things; I think I may just be unfamiliar with them. :? But I'd like to know what the intentions are. :ugeek:
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby carlaz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:54 pm

allan.bourque wrote:
bart.childers wrote:Does it record just the audio or does it record the pedal activity as MIDI CC events?

The actual operation will depend on the DAW I suppose, but yes, you can control the wah while recording Amplitube in your DAW. I don't know if this is exclusive to Cubase or not, but Amplitube VST does not recognize the midi input direct from the AXE. All I did was create a midi track and assigned the output to the audio track I had Amplitube on. From there it records the midi CC just like any other controller. The wah in Amplitube reacts live to the CC messages and records them. The only trick to remember is you need to arm both the audio and midi track to record.

Hmm, interesting ... This is the kind of usage case where tutorial videos for different DAWs would be nice. IMO, being able to plug an expression pedal into AXE and using it to control the Amplitube wahs is a fairly key feature. One definitely would want to be clear on how to set it up correctly.
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby allan.bourque » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:01 pm

Hopefully this thing takes off and we'll start seeing some of that on YouTube!
allan.bourque

Postby kildashian » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:21 pm

[mod edit - please only post your issue/topic once per the forum rules]
kildashian

Postby clintmartin » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:08 pm

Roundtrip Latency for 24bit 48khz 128 buffers?
clintmartin

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:26 am

There are going to be variables there (which is why that is not typically posted) but perhaps the support team might have a unit and a stable test machine to get some baseline for you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Niquez » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:21 am

Question -- It's 2019 but this is a USB2.0 device? Not 3.x?
Seems kind of strange. Is there no benefit at all to going to 3.x?
I mean even the cables / connectors are better, if that's all the user would notice, I think it would be worth it, especially considering the price of this thing.
But you would think there should be speed / latency benefits to going 3.x too?
Niquez

Postby Niquez » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:26 am

bart.childers wrote:All I did was create a midi track and assigned the output to the audio track I had Amplitube on. From there it records the midi CC just like any other controller.

Yes, this is one way to do MIDI.

Create a new track, I usually make it a child track (the parent being the one with the VST loaded and the input is the TRS jack the guitar is plugged into), and instead of making this another guitar input, change the input to MIDI, and make sure it's armed and sending this MIDI commands to the parent track.

Another way is to use the DAW's automation, make sure to configure all the Amplitube parameters and set them up, learn them in the DAW, etc. and in that case, when you're recording, it will actually record all the MIDI commands you're doing at the same time as you're playing, and you'll see them in the automation lanes.
Niquez

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:41 am

Niquez wrote:Question -- It's 2019 but this is a USB2.0 device? Not 3.x?
Seems kind of strange. Is there no benefit at all to going to 3.x?
I mean even the cables / connectors are better, if that's all the user would notice, I think it would be worth it, especially considering the price of this thing.
But you would think there should be speed / latency benefits to going 3.x too?

There is no advantage to USB 3 and it would increase cost. USB 2 has the bandwidth and throughput to handle MANY more channels of simultaneous audio and MIDI data that you could possibly put through AXE I/O. And the cables aren't going to be any better on USB 3.

AXE I/O brings the highest performance possible at a great cost by avoiding using unnecessary technology that would simply make it cost more.

One example is a manufacturer who uses USB 2.0 for their 48 channel (in and out!) and there's still a ton of room to push even more.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby death6667771 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:18 pm

What about stress test this card? Driver stable? On buffer 8 or 16 how it will work on hard project in DAW? It's very important part of all audio interfaces but no one developer not do it
I really hate resell audio interfaces, lost my time, money
What you say about this?
death6667771

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:23 pm

death6667771 wrote:What about stress test this card? Driver stable? On buffer 8 or 16 how it will work on hard project in DAW? It's very important part of all audio interfaces but no one developer not do it
I really hate resell audio interfaces, lost my time, money
What you say about this?

Yes the driver is stable and we test our interfaces. If you'd like very specific technical data you may also want to ask IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support for more detailed information from their (and reported user) experience with AXE I/O.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby death6667771 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Good to hear this
Tell me please it's full created in Italy? Or china friends do some job?
I right understand driver ASIO? If yes, tell please Driver can works with 2 or more ASIO application at one time?
death6667771

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:02 pm

death6667771 wrote:Good to hear this
Tell me please it's full created in Italy? Or china friends do some job?
I right understand driver ASIO? If yes, tell please Driver can works with 2 or more ASIO application at one time?

AXE I/O is both designed and made in Italy.

I'm sorry but I'm going to need some clarification on your last question as I'm not sure what you mean. You want to have AXE I/O as input and output on multiple DAWs or something else?
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby death6667771 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:13 pm

For example i launch Cubase (with ASIO) and launch music player at one time (with ASIO). It's will work? Or only one application can work? Another words: Multiclient driver?
death6667771

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:11 pm

death6667771 wrote:For example i launch Cubase (with ASIO) and launch music player at one time (with ASIO). It's will work? Or only one application can work? Another words: Multiclient driver?

While there are ways of accomplishing this, unfortunately, Windows is not the best for this type of use. Personally I would suggest using the different outputs on the AXE I/O. For example, using AXE I/O output 1/2 for your DAW output and AXE I/O output 3/4 for your Windows system output. This would allow for the best experience in both your DAW and the audio program you are using to playback your music.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements