Brand New Album Release "Up Higher"

A friendly place to share your music and collaborate with other IK users. Show off your hard work here!

Brand New Album Release "Up Higher"

Postby dbailey1 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:49 pm

After spending much of the past few months writing and recording, I've just released a brand new album called Up Higher. It features 8 original tracks, 5 of which are vocal songs and 3 that are guitar instrumentals.

All of the songs were recorded using Amplitube 5, with some songs featuring Syntronik, Sampletank 4, MODO Bass and MODO Drums, as well. It was mixed using T-Racks plugins and IK's awesome ARC 3 room correction software, and the final songs were mastered using Lurssen Mastering Console.

You can listen to the album here. Also, I'd love any feedback you have about who I sound like. I have tons of influences, but I'm having a hard time nailing down my "style."

https://danbaileyphoto.com/new-album-release-up-higher/

dbailey1

Re: Brand New Album Release "Up Higher"

Postby dbailey1 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:10 pm

Here's the Soundcloud like to "Can't Look Past Ourselves", which is the lead-off song not he album.

dbailey1

Postby Peter_IK » Tue May 11, 2021 8:27 pm

Nice! I can't believe nobody has commented yet this is all great stuff. I know I'm guilty too as I had listened to a few of the songs when you originally posted so who am I to throw stones? :D

As far as influences, I definitely got a bit of a Michael Stipe vibe from your vocals and maybe a bit of R.E.M. in general from the writing/melody/feel side too.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby mklankin@hotmail.com » Wed May 12, 2021 9:39 pm

Hey Dan,

Like Peter, I am amiss in having a quick listen and not providing feedback. So, I’ve checked out “Up Higher” in its entirety now.

First off, as a photographer with a self-professed guitar problem, massive props for being a clear double-threat…at least! This must have been a huge endeavour and it’s enjoyable that you provided the context for each track.

The album offers a nice blend of vocal and instrumental tracks. You get some real big vocals in “Ricochet” & “What Will Remain” for sure and the lyrical themes across the album have a good cross-section to them too. The instrumentals were really enjoyable and also provided nice variety (some REAL nice playing on Angel Oak Rag but the other two are great as well).

I’d have to agree that I hear some REM but there’s obviously more too. The arpeggiator in “Can’t Look Past Ourselves” gave me a flashback to The Who and some of your phrasing and chord progressions in “Soaring in the Raven’s Playground” starting at 1:36 until the end is reminiscent of Eric Johnson - and that is substantive compliment. I also really dug that modal change in “What Will Remain” from 3:35 to about 4:04 and, outside of this, my ears certainly get some Rush out of the track.

Songs sound good and you get some really fine guitar tones and licks to go with . I know you recorded some of these ahead of AT5's release so did you go back and remix some making use of the new abilities in AT5?

Anyhow, really enjoyed the full listen. Don’t take too long a pause after releasing this!
Michael
mklankin@hotmail.com

Postby dbailey1 » Thu May 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Peter, thanks so much for giving my album a serious listen and leaving a comment. I know how active you are here and on all the other forums out there, so it means a lot that you'd take the time to listen and give me some feedback.

I will say that this album would not sound even remotely as good as it does, if it weren't for the incredible gear and plugins you guys make. From demos to final mastering, this whole project was powered by IK.

----------

Michael, thanks to you as well for your response, I'm glad you enjoyed the album. Spending much of my energy with photography, this was a momentous creative accomplishment for me to complete this album, and I'm really proud of how it turned out.

It was definitely fun to create some big vocal stacks and create unique sonic palettes across each track.

"Can't Look Past Ourselves" started by just messing around with Syntronik on my iPad, stumbling across that arpeggio patch and running with it. I'm kind of a novice keyboard player, and so apps like Syntronik really help to spark the inspiration.

I definitely feel I channeled my inner Rush with "What Will Remain." That's my most ambitious production to date. It's not surprising that you hear all of those influences, after all, my own music is a product of everything I've listened to over the years. I'll take the Eric Johnson compliment, thank you very much!

No, I didn't go back and add AT5 to the older songs, but I did make some final mixing/mastering tweaks on the songs I recorded last year, having added the ARC room correction system to my setup since recording those pieces.

I'm taking a little break now that summer is here, but the confidence gained from this release will keep me going for sure. I look forward to seeing what comes next!

Thanks again,
Dan
dbailey1

Postby dbailey1 » Fri May 14, 2021 3:28 am

Also, here is the music video I made for "Can't Look Past Ourselves," with a cameo by the iRig Keys I/O 49!

dbailey1

Return to The Jam Session