Total Studio DAW Example Projects?

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Total Studio DAW Example Projects?

Postby BarryLegg1980 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:55 pm

Hi - I didn't really know where to put this post because it covers a big chunk of (if not all) ok IK's products - so if mods think this would be better placed in a different subforum - please move it there.

Anyway - i'm gonna get the caveats out the way; while i'm not unfamiliar with using creative software (professional CG artist by trade) and I've been a musician for decades (guitarbassdrumsinthatorder) - i've only really started using the DAW as anything other than a glorified Fostex 4track fairly recently. I don't know, for example, why or when i should use inserts in pre/post fader slots, I don't really understand where or how to EQ something (is it done in the insert? is it done at the... thing at the top of the track?), cards on the table - i don't really know what a 'bus' is. So.... yeah.

Anyway - I have TS3.5 and, apart from individually using Amplitube, ModoBass and Drum, I basically use it like a child / chimpanzee / caveman - take your pick.

So - to the point...

Does such a thing exist as a Cubase / Logic / Reaper etc. project that is set up already, with the various things that come with TS3.5 all in place, properly? So, you've got the guitar track(s) using amplitube and other relevant inserts, a modo bass track doing the same (also using amplitube) and a modo drum track etc, and everything in the masters is using the t-racks stuff, intelligently?

For my own selfish perspective - what would really help me would be, say, three Cubase projects for rock band productions - at three varying level of polish. So what i mean by that, using Nirvana albums as reference points;

1. raw, unpolished (but still good sounding!) garage band sound - like Bleach. (my personal preference)
2. Natural live-room sounding rock record made with a budget, like In Utero.
3. Overly polished, sterile, major-label, radio-friendly pop-rock record production that normies agree 'sounds good' and has about as much humanity as the mayor from Jaws - like Nevermind (you may correctly infer that i'm personally biased against this particular sound).

Is that asking too much? Serious question - I have no idea. Like i have no idea what i'm doing with pretty much anything in, like, T-racks for example; to me it's just a collection of a billion different compressors and EQs and other malarkey and I have not the first clue where and how to use them properly, despite the fact that I paid for them and own them.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

b
Last edited by BarryLegg1980 on Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BarryLegg1980

Re: Total Studio DAW Example Projects?

Postby BarryLegg1980 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:03 pm

Btw - I really don't dislike Nevermind as much as I made out just there, and in a world where such a thing as (get yr sickbags ready) 'djent' exists <puking emoji> Nevermind can by no stretch of the imagination be considered 'overly polished'

I just didn't want to cite 'djent' in the first post. Because it is music made by/for people who evidently prefer a rock band to sound like it is made up of members from Skynet and, i dunno, the bad-guy characters from the Transformers or something.
BarryLegg1980

Return to General Discussions