How To Backup Sounds Library

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

How To Backup Sounds Library

Postby ceejones2020 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:53 am

Greetings,

So I bought Total Studio Max 3 just about 180 days ago and now I have 2 days left until my sounds expire. I do have a 4tb external hard drive that I planned on using to backup all of my downloaded sound files. The problem, is that I have no clue how to do that. I thought it was going to be a simple drag and drop to copy situation but I don't think so anymore. I've searched around for some direction and found two posts from the forums but the instructions aren't that clear to me. Or maybe I'm just overseeing the directions. Either way, I'm not having any luck and I'm looking for some help.

I'm using a Mac Mini if that helps the helpers.
ceejones2020

Re: How To Backup Sounds Library

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:24 am

IK Product Manager will download the sound library installers to the directory set in its settings. I'm not sure what the default is on Mac, as I changed mine. You can click the gear icon in IK Product Manager to find out where yours save.

Browse to that folder in Finder and then you can drag them from there to your backup drive.

Note that you can also copy the expanded sound libraries after they've been installed instead. Those will obviously be larger and take up more room though. You can find their location in the settings for each of the products that use the sound libraries. This is admittedly more work and takes up more space so option 1 is probably a better choice.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ceejones2020 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:57 am

Alright, so I did find those files in my 'Documents' section located in a 'IK Product Manager' folder. I noticed when I open up the individual sound folders inside the 'IK Product Manager' folder, that the sound files have a hard drive icon instead of a blank page. I'm assuming this is correct and what I need to copy over.

So If this is correct, my understanding, is, once all of my purchased sounds "expire" in the IK Product Manager app, I should still have access and continue to use the sounds through my external hard drive. Is this right?
ceejones2020

Postby DarkStar » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:29 pm

I would just copy everything in the ...\Documents\IK Multimedia\IK Product Manager folder. No need to open anything up.

The expiration in the IKPM is ONLY for downloading the big Sounds Libraries. Other downloads do not expire. And even then you can reactivate those downloads for a further 180 days for a small Downloads Reactivation fee.

The installed Sounds Libraries (on your external disk?) can be used for ever (or until your disk / SSD fails :))
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby MECAISTE » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:21 pm

Hello:
I would like to know if a backup of these libraries would work for another authorised computer or if those libraries are tairlored for each of the authorised computers and have to backup each one of them.
Thanks
MECAISTE

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:20 pm

MECAISTE wrote:Hello:
I would like to know if a backup of these libraries would work for another authorised computer or if those libraries are tairlored for each of the authorised computers and have to backup each one of them.
Thanks

You can use them on another authorized computer. I do this with an external drive all the time (usually between three computers I use for audio).
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby MECAISTE » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:46 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
MECAISTE wrote:Hello:
Thanks

You can use them on another authorized computer. I do this with an external drive all the time (usually between three computers I use for audio).

Thanks a lot
MECAISTE

Return to General Discussions