Repair IK 7-pin din male to USB-C cable?

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Repair IK 7-pin din male to USB-C cable?

Postby Maddcow » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:07 am

Hi all. My IK 7-pin din male to USB-C cable has a small break just after the 7-pin din male connector. I have a couple of identical 7-pin din male connectors and am wondering if anyone knows whether there's some secret IK voodoo going on in the 7-pin connector (e.g. resistor, funky wiring config etc) or if it'd be a simple matter of mapping the din pins to the wires and replacing the connector?

I'd rather not have to spend another AU$60 on a cable if it's easy enough for me to repair it.

Cheers
Gary
Maddcow

Re: Repair IK 7-pin din male to USB-C cable?

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:16 pm

How long have you had it? IK Support may be able to help if you haven't had the cable for long.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Maddcow » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:47 pm

Hi Peter
I bought it directly from IK on 10 June 2020, Order No. 2020INT170348WEB. I've only used it about a dozen times, always at home and I really look after my gear. I was pretty gobsmacked when I realised the cable suddenly had issues. The USB-C connector also had problems (i.e. the metal socket was moving around inside the plastic housing) and I had to glue it to stop the movement.

Cheers
Gary
Maddcow

Postby josefjoe21 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:18 pm

Maddcow wrote:Hi all. My IK 7-pin din male to USB-C cable has a small break just after the 7-pin din male connector. I have a couple of identical 7-pin din male connectors and am wondering if anyone knows whether there's some secret IK voodoo going on in the 7-pin connector (e.g. resistor, funky wiring config etc) or if it'd be a simple matter of mapping the din pins to the wires and replacing the connector?

I'd rather not have to spend another AU$60 on a cable if it's easy enough for me to repair it.

Cheers
Gary

Simplest way to do this is to slide back the cover and remove the shell from the existing plug - this will show you which, and how many, pins are being used. Then all you need is screened cable with enough cores, and away you go.
josefjoe21

Postby Maddcow » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:25 pm

josefjoe21 wrote:Simplest way to do this is to slide back the cover and remove the shell from the existing plug - this will show you which, and how many, pins are being used. Then all you need is screened cable with enough cores, and away you go.
I don’t have the cable with me right now to check but I don’t think it’s possible to slide back the cover because the entire plug is moulded and sealed.
Maddcow

Return to General Discussions