Sampletank Songwriting Contest Rules?

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Sampletank Songwriting Contest Rules?

Postby twilson74 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:43 pm

Hey I was checking out the new Sampletank Songwriting Contest and I wanted to see the particular rules so I clicked on the link and I just get a blank page with https://woobox.com/csz66u/rules in the address but no content. I don't know why I'm not seeing any content-- I tried a few different browsers. I wonder if anyone else is having the same issue with not being able to download/view the contest rules.

Thanks
twilson74

Re: Sampletank Songwriting Contest Rules?

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:53 pm

For other readers, here is the link to the News item:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=11247
and the contest itself:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/stsongwritingcontest/

I could not see any rules as such.
-- "From July 21 to August 6, 2021",
-- " for original music that features one or more SampleTank instruments",
-- "There’s no purchase required.",
-- "You can use any version of SampleTank"
-- "post it to social media using a hashtag"
-- "3 winners for the prizes listed below based on each entry’s originality, composition and quality of video"

Video???

But the competition seems a bit loose to me. Can any other plug-in instruments be used too? How about effects?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DarkStar » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:59 pm

AH, not all the page was displayed for some reason. I now see the link to the "official rules" but, as you have found, that page is blank.

And I still do not get what the video should be showing. "Enter your best video for a chance to win" LolCats?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:25 pm

I'll relay the issue with the rules page.

You can see examples of video posts in the gallery/voting page as there are existing entries. Video is the most-used medium on social media even for song examples. If you'd like to try to enter a Soundcloud or similar URL in the entry form it may work, though?
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby twilson74 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:33 am

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the link to official rules is still non-functional-- hopefully that gets corrected soon. I wouldn't personally submit an entry into any contest to which I couldn't first read the "small print" regarding the parameters of the rules.

Generally in the music industry-- from how I'm familiar with certain terms-- a "song/songwriting" would be defined in a particular way as a type of entity with music and lyrics/vocals. That's a different thing than a "Composition Contest" which is how I'd maybe classify some of the entries I've "seen" so far-- which really could have been thought of as a "Video Contest"-- which again, really is a very different thing to a "Songwriting Contest"-- which this is billed as.

I don't think I'm being overly pedantic about it-- I think the intent is just to have fun with the contest anyway, but I think some of the terminology and the way the contest is described is somewhat inaccurate/mislabeled. Again, I think the emphasis on video elements is incongruous with the spirit of the term "songwriting contest" as a reasonable person would understand that term-- regardless of the contemporary expectations of social media users.

Anyway, it's cool that IK is having a contest ( I may or may not get around to entering, depending on my schedule, etc)-- and I hope the rules link gets fixed.

Cheers.
twilson74

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:55 pm

Rules should be showing correctly now. Sorry to hear that the video aspect is bothersome, but this is a contest run on social media on which video is commonly shared as it is most engaging. Also, if you feel the semantics don't fit your definitions of the contest or the content I hope you can still take a look and participate if you'd like but this is a contest for songs using SampleTank (including the free CS version, no purchase necessary) uploaded in video form on social media platforms which I also hope clarifies for you.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby armor » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:04 pm

Greetings! i actually had written a song and currently working on it but i am a bit discourage by the rules. I support twilson74's views, as to what is a "song" compared to a "composition" contest. The video as one of the criteria? this should be a "Music and Video" contest using Sampletank!, not songwriting contest as it is misleading indeed.

Furthermore, those who will be submitting their entries late, will have lesser chances of getting votes, since voting has already started. Voting should start after the deadline, This would be fair to every entry.
armor

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:10 pm

Sorry to hear you are disappointed I will relay your comments. This is a songwriting contest using SampleTank and the submission medium is video since it is being held on social media. There is voting but the rules do not state that the votes are the main/sole criteria. Voting is enabled from the start (and was enabled before the extension) as with many contests, but that shouldn't factor in here anyway as stated.

Feel free to submit if you would like and good luck to those who enter.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Re: Sampletank Songwriting Contest Rules???

Postby armor » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:18 pm

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for the reply, that is very encouraging to know. Will finished my song and will upload it the soonest. I use Sampletank everyday since Sampletank 2.5 and like many Sampletank users, is just excited to share our music.

Cheers and have a great day! :) 8-)
armor

Postby nololo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:09 am

I was just wondering when voting ends and are there judges that will listen to top 10-20 songs with the most votes ? thanks
nololo

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:56 pm

All of the songs submitted are being reviewed and there will be an announcement soon after the winners are contacted and verified.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby nololo » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:15 pm

cool thank you!
nololo

Return to General Discussions