Best way to install Total Studio 3 Max on Windows PC

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Best way to install Total Studio 3 Max on Windows PC

Postby mhlevy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:13 am

Hi all,

I've put together a fairly powerful Windows 10 system, and while I haven't begun installing the software yet, I want to make certain that I take advantage of the different drives I have. The system has a 1 TB NVME SSD C: drive, a 2 TB SSD drive D:, and a 12 TB Enterprise class hard drive (7200rpm, 256MB cache) E: drive.

I'd like to install the applications and all of the libraries on the 2 TB SSD drive, but I suppose I could also install the executables on the C: drive, as long as I can install the libraries on the D: drive. I want to take advantage of the faster SSD drive (D: drive) plugged into the 6GB SATA controller. I think I'll be OK just putting everything on the D: drive, if possible.

For the interface I'm using, I recently purchased a PreSonus Studio 24c USB-C Audio Interface. There's some software that came with it called "Universal Control," and it is supposed to have ASIO functionality. Should I use that, rather than ASIO4ALL? I plan to use this interface for both guitar/bass, but I also have an older midi keyboard that this should work with for SampleTank. I also have another keyboard that uses a USB, and it was automatically detected by Garage Band on an old Mac that I was using. Will SampleTank be able to self-detect a USB keyboard? Finally, if I use a USB Keyboard, and if that requires ASIO4All (since I won't be going through the PreSonus interface, should I uninstall that "Universal Control," or do you think that it should be able to co-exist with ASIO4ALL?

Are there anything I need to watch out for? While I have lots of experience with PCs (I have more than 30 years of system and network engineer, as well as network architect experience,) I'm a total newbie when it comes to musical hardware and software!

Thank you,

Mark Levy
mhlevy

Re: Best way to install Total Studio 3 Max on Windows PC

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:39 pm

You should be able to install most (all?) of the TS3 MAX products using the iK Product Manager ("IKPM"). Read these tips first: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26365 and do it one product at a time.

Use the PreSonus ASIO driver instead of ASIO4All.

SampleTank or your DAW or other standalone programs should be able to use the PreSonus ASIO driver; you just need to select it in the program's Settings or set-up. ames goes for the USB keyboard (some need their own driver install, others do not (i.e. they are "class-compliant")

Again, do not bother with ASIO4All.

If you get stuck , just post a reply back here and someone should be able tol help you out.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby mhlevy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:18 am

Thank you so much for the advice! I will try it this weekend!

Thanks again,

Mark

DarkStar wrote:You should be able to install most (all?) of the TS3 MAX products using the iK Product Manager ("IKPM"). Read these tips first: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26365 and do it one product at a time.

Use the PreSonus ASIO driver instead of ASIO4All.

SampleTank or your DAW or other standalone programs should be able to use the PreSonus ASIO driver; you just need to select it in the program's Settings or set-up. ames goes for the USB keyboard (some need their own driver install, others do not (i.e. they are "class-compliant")

Again, do not bother with ASIO4All.

If you get stuck , just post a reply back here and someone should be able tol help you out.
mhlevy

Postby Thedude4774 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:32 pm

I have the same questions! I just bought a new computer with 2.5 tb internal ssd storage(512gb boot drive and adding a second 2tb m.2 nvme). I also have a 5tb external hdd.

I tried with plugins on the external drive but it was a nightmare with how long the lag was whenever I wanted to bring up the plugins to change settings. So trying to figure out how to prioritize what goes onto the internal ssds and what goes onto the external hdd.

Looking to buy Total Studio 3 Max and also own Ableton Suite, Steinberg Absolute, multiple Positive Grid, Toontrack, etc. Plugins and will be using it for making games in Unreal also so I thought I had plenty of space but now I'm thinking I'm already in trouble!

Which parts of Total Studio Max should be sure to go on the internal drives and which parts should go on external? Thank you for any help!
Thedude4774

Postby mhlevy » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:40 pm

Though I'm certainly not an expert, I'd suggest putting as much as you can on the NVMe drive, and if you have 2TB, you should be fine.

Within Windows, you will also want to put the swap drive on the NVMe drive as well, especially if you have less than 8GB of RAM. Windows wants as much RAM as you can throw at it.

Good luck!

Mark
mhlevy

Postby Thedude4774 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:41 am

Thank you! I have 16gb ram now, and I think neither strip of ram is sautered down, so I will probably go up to 32 gb soon
Thedude4774

Return to General Discussions