keyboard question and suggestion

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

keyboard question and suggestion

Postby chicagobears316 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:43 pm

Hello,

I'm a long time intermediate guitarist. Good enough to play things recognizably, but not tight enough timing or mistake free to play in a band or anything. Hearing strumming patterns, when figuring out timing, and playing barre chords are the bane of my existence

I purchased the Keys 37 pro a few years ago, but due to several issues, I never got to use it until the last few months. Finding I might actually like it better than the guitar, but I find the length frustrating as I'm already having songs that I want at least one more octave on (I know there is a 49 key version now).

I'm wondering what standards are for the number of keys, and what serious players should consider the minimum number needed. And how necessary is it to get weighted keys? I've read about that a lot.

In regards to playing with what I have, I'm currently working on the intro to "Bring me to life", but the left hands chords overlap into the right hand's keys. Should I just omit the octave note and make it 2 key chords? and let the right hand keep doing it's thing?

Also for IK, if they read the post, the 37 keys pro is a great size (heck it fits on my slide out computer keyboard tray. The only improvement to me would be moving the micro usb port to the near end of the side so I could keep it plugged in when sliding the tray back in) and obviously going bigger will make things clunky. Have you ever looked into an expansion option? By that I mean say I bought a modified version of the keyboard I already have where everything was essentially the same, but then on the right side, you could remove the piece that is the thin border outside of the last key to uncover some sort of port that could connect directly another set of keys, making the keyboard longer.

I could buy what I need at the time, have different expansion sizes, and it would still be more portable than one long keyboard since the size would be broken into at least 2 parts by disconnecting them.

It wouldn't be necessary for my use, but if the add-on piece could also play on it's own, then you could in theory have two people playing separate pieces on the smaller components when needed, and then convert it to the larger keyboard when that is required.
chicagobears316

Return to General Discussions