Total beginner looking for advice

General talk about music creation and production, or anything that doesn’t fit into the other categories

Total beginner looking for advice

Postby keith.pares » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:53 pm

I'm totally new to recording so please pardon me if I'm not quite sure how to ask the right questions.

I have a 2020 Macbook Pro that has 4 USB C inputs, and a "traditional" guitar set up (guitar, tube amp & floor pedals).

I bought an iRig to plug my guitar into my iphone and I like the sounds it makes, but the interface for recording is too small and too much of a pain in the ass. I'd much rather use my computer because I feel it will be easier for me to understand & use.

Bottom line: I want to be able to plug my guitar into my Macbook to both practice & record.

I don't care if I use my existing amp, or amp simulation software, I just want to be able to practice & record using my computer.

Right now I have nothing other than the items listed above. So my questions are:

1. What is the bare minimum in terms of items/software I need in order to be able to plug into my computer to practice & record?

2. What are the similarities and/or differences between the AXE I/O and iRig Stomp I/O?

- Can I use either one to plug into my computer, or does the iRig Stomp I/O just work like a channel switcher for the AXE I/O?

3. What question(s) am I not asking that I should be asking in order to do this right?
keith.pares

Re: Total beginner looking for advice

Postby Soulpowergtr » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:40 pm

Did you ever get this answered?

1. Which iRig do you have? iRig 2? - plug into headphone jack
Download AmpliTube CS - that will get you started with the free amps and simple recording

2. AXE I/O is a true audio interface, geared towards guitar players.

3. Are you going to use a DAW? AmpliTube CS will give you basic recording but a DAW like Logic (since you have MAC) is amazing, its what I use with IK gear. AXE IO also comes with Ableton 10 Lite DAW as well.
Soulpowergtr

Return to General Discussions